How do I solve where the absolute potential should be zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of two point charges (+2.0 μC and -3.0 μC) and the calculation of the absolute potential at points on the x-axis. The relevant equation for calculating potential is V= ko*∑ (q/r), but the complication arises from the use of absolute value bars in the formula. The solution is found by determining the equilibrium points, where the fields cancel, and not just the points where the magnitudes of the charges are capable of cancelling each other out. The final solution is that the absolute potential is zero at a point 2 meters to the left of charge a and also at a point 40 cm to the right of charge a.
Vladi

Homework Statement

A point charge of + 2.0 μC is placed at the origin of coordinates. A second, of − 3.0 μC, is placed on the x-axis at x = 100 cm. At what point (or points) on the x-axis will the absolute potential be zero?

Homework Equations

V= ko*∑ (q/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is attached to this post. In the attachment, you will find my calculations which were based off of my drawing and the relevant equation provided. I also included the answer to the problem within the attachment.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer of X0 = 2 m (i.e. x = -2 m). I think the given answer of x = -0.2 m is a mistake. Can you see where x = 40 cm comes from?

Likes Vladi
Thank you for the quick reply. Schaum's Outline of College Physics does have some typos. I guess this could be one of them. Suppose the absolute potential is somewhere between the two charges in the given prompt. This would imply that the distance between the equilibrium point and the origin is x1. This would also imply that the distance between the charge on the 100 cm mark and the equilibrium point would be 1m-x1. After I plugged these numbers in the relevant equation, I get x=40cm. I get this anwser, but it makes no sense to me. I thought equilibrium points only occur where the magnitudes of the charges are capable of cancelling each other out. How is this answer possible?

Attachments

• part 2 forum.jpg
    part 2 forum.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 468
Vladi said:
equilibrium points only occur where the magnitudes of the charges are capable of cancelling each other out.
Neither is an equilibrium point. An equilibrium point is where the fields cancel. The question asks you to find where the net potential is zero.

Likes Vladi
haruspex said:
Neither is an equilibrium point. An equilibrium point is where the fields cancel. The question asks you to find where the net potential is zero.
It sounds like I'm confusing the two. How do I go about determining where the net potential is zero?

Vladi said:
It sounds like I'm confusing the two. How do I go about determining where the net potential is zero?
Your method was basically sound, but did not find all solutions.
The complication with potential is that the formula is ##\frac{kq}{|r|}##. That modulus sign introduces extra possible solutions.
For equilibrium, i.e. zero field, it is 1/r2, but now the complication is that it is a vector.

Likes Vladi
haruspex said:
Your method was basically sound, but did not find all solutions.
The complication with potential is that the formula is ##\frac{kq}{|r|}##. That modulus sign introduces extra possible solutions.
For equilibrium, i.e. zero field, it is 1/r2, but now the complication is that it is a vector.
If I understood you correctly, the relevant equation that I provided is useless if I do not include the absolute value bars. I re-did my calculations from the first part and got that x0=-.4m and x0=2m. This must imply that the absolute potential is zero at a point 2 meters to the left of charge a. The absolute potential is also zero at a point 40cm to the right of charge a. My calculations have been attached to this reply. Is this correct? Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated.

Attachments

• forum part 3.jpg
    forum part 3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 400
Vladi said:
the relevant equation that I provided is useless if I do not include the absolute value bars.
Not useless, just not general enough.
Vladi said:
The absolute potential is also zero at a point 40cm to the right of charge a.
Yes.

Likes Vladi
haruspex said:
Not useless, just not general enough.

Yes.
Thank you for all your help. I think I'll understand how to tackle such problems in the future.

Related to How do I solve where the absolute potential should be zero?

1. How do I determine where the absolute potential should be zero?

The absolute potential can be zero at a point where the electric potential is equal to the potential at infinity. This means that the electric potential at that point is the same as the potential at a point infinitely far away, which is typically considered to be zero.

2. What factors affect the location of the absolute potential zero?

The location of the absolute potential zero can be affected by the distribution of charges in the system and the distance from the source of the electric field. It can also be influenced by the presence of other conducting materials or boundaries that may alter the electric field.

3. How does the mathematical equation for electric potential help determine the location of the absolute potential zero?

The mathematical equation for electric potential, V = kQ/r, helps determine the location of the absolute potential zero by calculating the electric potential at a given point based on the distance from the source of the electric field and the magnitude of the charge. This can help identify where the potential is equal to zero.

4. Can the location of the absolute potential zero change?

Yes, the location of the absolute potential zero can change depending on the factors that affect it, such as the distribution of charges or the presence of other materials. It can also change if the electric field itself changes, such as in the case of moving charges or changing currents.

5. How can I determine the location of the absolute potential zero experimentally?

To determine the location of the absolute potential zero experimentally, you can use a voltmeter to measure the electric potential at different points in the system. The point where the potential is equal to zero will have a reading of zero on the voltmeter. You can also use equipotential lines, which are lines that connect points with the same electric potential, to identify where the potential is zero.