How Does the Power Set Size Double with Each Additional Element?

In summary, using induction, it can be proven that the power set P([n]) has exactly 2^n elements by showing that P(n+1) has twice as many elements as P(n). This can be done by considering the subsets of {1,...,n+1} and showing that for every subset in P(n), there are two subsets in P(n+1) that either include or do not include the element n+1. Thus, P(n+1) must have twice as many elements as P(n).
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Let [n] denote the set consisting of the first n natural numbers 1, 2, 3, ..., n. Use induction to prove that the power set P([n]) has exactly 2^n elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Base case: P([1]) = {{1}, null}. 2^1 = 2 elements.
2) Inductive step: Assume P([n]) has 2^n elements and prove P([n+1]) has 2^(n+1) elements.

I am stuck on the inductive step. I am not sure how to prove P([n+1]) has twice as many elements as P([n]). Through numerical experimentation for some small values of n, I've found that the number of new subset elements for each value of n is can be "represented" by pascal's triangle so I tried expressing the numbers of elements for P([n]) as a sum of the binomial coefficients:

[tex]2^n = \sum_{j=1}^{n} \frac{n(n-1)...(n-j+1)}{j!}\right)[/tex]

And by multiplying both sides by 2 would yield 2^(n+1) on the LHS, however, I can't seem to equate the RHS to:

[tex] \sum_{j=1}^{n+1} \frac{(n+1)(n)(n-1)...(n-j+2)}{j!}\right)[/tex]

Am I on the right track? Does this idea work? Any hints would be great! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are making this too complicated. P(n) is all of the subsets of {1,...,n}. P(n+1) is all of the subsets of {1,...,n,n+1}. For every subset in P(n) you can make 2 subsets of P(n+1) by either including the element n+1 or not.

Right, that makes sense. But how can I apply that idea to my inductive step?

Samuelb88 said:
Right, that makes sense. But how can I apply that idea to my inductive step?

Ok, then the number of elements in P(n+1) is twice the number of elements in P(n), isn't it?

Correct. But that seems like I am merely "conjecturing" that P(n+1) has twice as many elements as P(n), not proving.

PS: Sorry, I made a typo in my original post. It use to read, "...assume P([n+1])..."

2) Inductive step: Assume P([n]) has 2^n elements and prove P([n+1]) has 2^(n+1) elements.

Samuelb88 said:
Correct. But that seems like I am merely "conjecturing" that P(n+1) has twice as many elements as P(n), not proving.

PS: Sorry, I made a typo in my original post. It use to read, "...assume P([n+1])..."
No, you are not "conjecturing" anything. Every set in P(n+1) either contains n+1 or it doesn't. If it doesn't contain n+1 then it is in P(n). How many such sets are there?

If it does contain n+ 1 then it is a union, [itex]\{n+1\}\cup A[/itex] where A does NOT include n+1. How many such sets are there?

Related to How Does the Power Set Size Double with Each Additional Element?

What is the power set of a set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set, including the empty set and the set itself.

How do you prove that the power set of a set contains all possible subsets?

To prove that the power set of a set contains all possible subsets, you can use the mathematical technique of proof by contradiction. Assume that there is a subset that is not included in the power set, and then show that this leads to a contradiction.

What is the cardinality of the power set of a set?

The cardinality of the power set of a set with n elements is 2^n. This means that if a set has 4 elements, its power set will have 2^4 = 16 elements.

Is the power set of a set always larger than the set itself?

Yes, the power set of a set is always larger than the set itself because it includes all possible subsets of the set, including the set itself.

Why is the power set of a set useful in mathematics?

The power set of a set is useful in mathematics because it allows us to examine all possible combinations of elements in a set, which can help in solving problems related to sets and their properties.