How Does the Pauli-Lujanski Tensor Relate to Gauge Invariance?

In summary: As a matter of fact, Bellinfante procedure is possible because it does not affect the Poincare’ charges ( P^{ \mu }, J^{ \mu \nu } ). It only add a total divergence to the Poincare’ (canonical) currents, ( T^{ \mu \nu }, J^{ \mu \nu \rho } ), leaving P^{ \mu } and J^{ \mu \nu } unchanged.
thalisjg
I want to proof that
[M[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\nu[/itex],W[itex]\sigma[/itex]]=i(g[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]W[itex]\mu[/itex]-g[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]W[itex]\nu[/itex])
I can reduce this expression but I can't find the correctly answer.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the Pauli-Lubanski vector. You can grind through a lot of algebra to show this, but actually there's nothing to prove. It's an identity!

Mμν is the 4-dimensional rotation operator, and consequently [Mμν, Vσ] = i(gνσVμ - gμσVν) for any 4-vector Vμ.

Sorry about the mistakes.
Thanks!

thalisjg said:
I want to proof that
[M[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\nu[/itex],W[itex]\sigma[/itex]]=i(g[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]W[itex]\mu[/itex]-g[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]W[itex]\nu[/itex])
I can reduce this expression but I can't find the correctly answer.
Thanks!

Sandwitch [itex]W_{ \mu }[/itex] between [itex]U = \exp ( - i \omega_{ \mu \nu } J^{ \mu \nu } / 2 )[/itex] and [itex]U^{ \dagger }[/itex]:
[tex]
U^{ \dagger } W_{ \mu } U = \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } \epsilon_{ \mu \nu \rho \sigma } U^{ \dagger } J^{ \nu \rho } U U^{ \dagger } P^{ \sigma } U .
[/tex]
Now, use the transformation rules
[tex]
U^{ \dagger } J^{ \nu \rho } U = \Lambda^{ \nu }{}_{ \lambda } \Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \eta } J^{ \lambda \eta } ,
[/tex]
[tex]U^{ \dagger } P^{ \sigma } U = \Lambda^{ \sigma }{}_{ \delta } P^{ \delta } ,[/tex]
and the identity
[tex]
\epsilon_{ \mu \nu \rho \sigma } \Lambda^{ \nu }{}_{ \lambda } \Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \eta } \Lambda^{ \sigma }{}_{ \delta } = \Lambda_{ \mu }{}^{ \gamma } \epsilon_{ \gamma \lambda \eta \delta } ,
[/tex]
you get
[tex]U^{ \dagger } W_{ \mu } U = \Lambda_{ \mu }{}^{ \nu } W_{ \nu } .[/tex]
Write the infinitesimal version of this.

Sam

samalkhaiat said:
you get
[tex]U^{ \dagger } W_{ \mu } U = \Lambda_{ \mu }{}^{ \nu } W_{ \nu } .[/tex]
Write the infinitesimal version of this.
Again, this simply states the obvious fact that Wμ is a vector.

Bill_K said:
Again, this simply states the obvious fact that Wμ is a vector.

I believe that proving that “obvious fact” is not trivial at all. Bellow is my reasons why:

i) Having single space-time index does not guarantee the vector nature of an object.

ii) The presence of the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] symbol in the definition of [itex]W_{ \mu }[/itex].

iii) In QFT, both [itex]P_{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J_{ \mu \nu }[/itex] will have contributions from the gauge potential which itself is not a genuine vector.

iv) Young researchers should learn about the tricks of the trade and use them to prove as many “obvious facts” as they possibly can.

Sam

samalkhaiat said:
I believe that proving that “obvious fact” is not trivial at all. Bellow is my reasons why:

i) Having single space-time index does not guarantee the vector nature of an object.
Well, most of the time it does. The vector potential [itex]A_{ \mu }[/itex] in a gauge theory is the only exception I can think of, and even then only gauge-dependent results are sensitive to this issue.

samalkhaiat said:
ii) The presence of the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] symbol in the definition of [itex]W_{ \mu }[/itex].
The [itex]\epsilon[/itex] symbol is invariant under any Lorentz transformation that does not involve time reversal.

samalkhaiat said:
iii) In QFT, both [itex]P_{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J_{ \mu \nu }[/itex] will have contributions from the gauge potential which itself is not a genuine vector.
[itex]P_{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J_{ \mu \nu }[/itex] depend only on the field strength [itex]F_{ \mu\nu }[/itex], which is a genuine tensor.

samalkhaiat said:
iv) Young researchers should learn about the tricks of the trade and use them to prove as many “obvious facts” as they possibly can.
I fully agree with this one! :)

Avodyne said:
Well, most of the time it does. The vector potential [itex]A_{ \mu }[/itex] in a gauge theory is the only exception I can think of

One exception is enough to make the proof of the statement non-trivial.

and even then only gauge-dependent results are sensitive to this issue.

Do you think that [itex]P^{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J^{ \mu \nu }[/itex] are gauge invariant operators? :)

The [itex]\epsilon[/itex] symbol is invariant under any Lorentz transformation that does not involve time reversal.

I expressed this fact by writing the explicit transformation law for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] symbol. Students need to know this guy is invariant, don’t they?

[itex]P_{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J_{ \mu \nu }[/itex] depend only on the field strength [itex]F_{ \mu\nu }[/itex], which is a genuine tensor.

Without the use of the field equations ( off-shell), the canonical [itex]P^{ \mu }[/itex] & [itex]J^{ \mu \nu }[/itex] both depend on the gauge potential.

Sam

samalkhaiat said:
One exception is enough to make the proof of the statement non-trivial.
Agreed!

samalkhaiat said:
Do you think that [itex]P^{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J^{ \mu \nu }[/itex] are gauge invariant operators? :)
The "improved", Belinfante versions are indeed gauge invariant.

Avodyne said:
The "improved", Belinfante versions are indeed gauge invariant.

As a matter of fact, Bellinfante procedure is possible because it does not affect the Poincare’ charges [itex]( P^{ \mu }, J^{ \mu \nu } )[/itex]. It only add a total divergence to the Poincare’ (canonical) currents, [itex]( T^{ \mu \nu }, J^{ \mu \nu \rho } )[/itex], leaving [itex]P^{ \mu }[/itex] and [itex]J^{ \mu \nu }[/itex] unchanged.
I can state (and prove on general grounds) the following claim:
“Even in a gauge invariant theory, the energy-momentum vector and the angular momentum tensor cannot be invariant under the c-number gauge transformations of the theory”.

Sam

Related to How Does the Pauli-Lujanski Tensor Relate to Gauge Invariance?

1. What is the Pauli-Lujanski tensor?

The Pauli-Lujanski tensor is a mathematical construct used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of fermions. It is a 4x4 matrix made up of spinors, which are mathematical objects that represent the intrinsic angular momentum of particles.

2. How is the Pauli-Lujanski tensor related to the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli-Lujanski tensor can be constructed from the Pauli matrices, which are a set of 2x2 matrices used to describe the spin of a particle. The tensor is a 4x4 matrix because it describes the spin of particles in 4-dimensional spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the Pauli-Lujanski tensor in physics?

The Pauli-Lujanski tensor plays a crucial role in the study of fermionic systems, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It is used to calculate important physical quantities like magnetic moments and scattering cross-sections, and it also helps to explain the symmetries and conservation laws of quantum field theory.

4. How does the Pauli-Lujanski tensor differ from other tensors?

The Pauli-Lujanski tensor is unique because it is a 4x4 tensor that is antisymmetric, meaning that it changes sign when two indices are swapped. This antisymmetry is a result of the spin-statistics theorem, which states that fermions must have half-integer spin and obey the Pauli exclusion principle.

5. Are there any applications of the Pauli-Lujanski tensor outside of physics?

While the Pauli-Lujanski tensor is primarily used in physics, it has also found applications in other fields such as computer science and information theory. It has been used to develop quantum algorithms for data encryption and to study the properties of topological insulators in condensed matter physics.