How Does the Mean Value Theorem Apply to Finding the Slope on an Interval?

In summary, the mean value theorem states that on a closed interval [a,b], there exists a point c such that f'(c) is equal to the mean slope of f over the interval [a,b]. To find the mean slope of a function on a given interval, we can use the equation (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a). In the context of the given problem, the mean slope of f(x) = 2x^3 - 12x^2 - 72x + 6 on the interval [-4,7] is equal to -34.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

Consider the function f(x)=2x^3−12x^2−72x+6 on the interval [−4,7] . Find the average or mean slope of the function on this interval.

Homework Equations

MEAN VALUE THEOREM
[tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I set this problem up in the mean value theorem I found that

6c^2 - 24c - 72 = (-400+26)/(11)
Finally giving me

6c^2 - 24c -38 = 0

Solving with the quadriatic equation I got

[tex]2\pm\frac{\sqrt93}{3}[/tex]

Which I know is correct, but the program says it is not correct so maybe the question is not asking for me to do this...?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am honestly not for sure what you are doing. You just have some equations there. What the mean value theorem says is that on a closed interval [a,b], there exists a point c such that f'(c)="mean slope of f over the interval [a,b]". What equation gives you the mean slope?

n!kofeyn said:
I am honestly not for sure what you are doing. You just have some equations there. What the mean value theorem says is that on a closed interval [a,b], there exists a point c such that f'(c)="mean slope of f over the interval [a,b]". What equation gives you the mean slope?

I was finding the value of "c" in the mean value theorem, because I was overthinking this problem. After I read your post several times it finally sunk in that the mean slope is equal to (y1-y0)/(x1-x0). Which is -34 and the answer to the problem. Thank you for the help.

Great! Yes, (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) is the mean slope over the interval [a,b]. Just to reiterate, the mean value theorem guarantees there is at least one point c such that f'(c) is exactly equal to the mean slope over [a,b].

Related to How Does the Mean Value Theorem Apply to Finding the Slope on an Interval?

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem in Calculus 1?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and differentiable on the open interval (a, b), then there exists at least one point c in (a, b) where the slope of the tangent line at c is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [a, b]. This point c is known as the "mean" or "average" value of the function on the interval.

2. What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it allows us to make connections between the average rate of change of a function and its instantaneous rate of change at a specific point. This theorem is also the basis for several important concepts in calculus, such as the First Derivative Test and the Second Derivative Test for finding critical points and determining the nature of a function's graph.

3. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Mean Value Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the average velocity of an object over a certain time interval or to find the average rate of change of a stock's value over a period of time. It can also be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point if we know its average rate of change over an interval.

4. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that satisfy the conditions of being continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If a function fails to meet these requirements, then the Mean Value Theorem cannot be applied to it.

5. How is the Mean Value Theorem related to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem are both fundamental theorems in calculus, but they serve different purposes. While the Mean Value Theorem relates the average and instantaneous rates of change of a function, the Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a continuous function takes on values of opposite signs at two points in an interval, then there must exist at least one point in between where the function equals zero. In some cases, the Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove the Intermediate Value Theorem.