How Does the Ising Model Exhibit Diamagnetism to Paramagnetism Transition in 2D?

In summary, when applying an external magnetic field to the Ising model in 2D, a transition from diamagnetism to paramagnetism is expected to occur at a certain critical temperature, which may not be fully captured in your data due to the number of scans or other factors.
Heimisson
I'm doing a computational physics project where I'm looking at the Ising model in 2D and external magnetics field.

I start with all the spins in same directions my grid is 30x30 and I use periodic boundry conditions. I start with all the spins in the same direction (+1). I do about 150000 scans with Metropolis algorithm at every temperature so it can reach thermal equilibrium and then I collect data for 350000 scans after that.

So my question is: When I apply negative magnetic field the system seems to show diamagnetism at low temperature and then makes a very quick drop to paramagnetism.

I will attach a graph displaying this. (magnetism on "y axis", temperature on "x")

So is this something to be expected or is this and error because I don't have enough scans?

Attachments

• seglunpsNN.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 264
Physics news on Phys.org
It is expected to see a transition from diamagnetism to paramagnetism when applying an external magnetic field. This transition typically occurs when the temperature drops below a certain critical temperature, which can vary depending on the strength of the external magnetic field. It is possible that you are not seeing this transition because your scans do not reflect the full range of temperatures over which the transition would occur. It is also possible that the transition is occurring but is not visible in your graph due to insufficient data points or other factors.

Related to How Does the Ising Model Exhibit Diamagnetism to Paramagnetism Transition in 2D?

1. What is the Ising model?

The Ising model is a mathematical model developed by physicist Ernst Ising in 1925 to study the behavior of magnetism in materials. It is a simplified model that describes the interactions between magnetic moments of atoms in a lattice structure.

2. How does the Ising model relate to diamagnetism?

The Ising model can be used to study diamagnetism, which is a type of magnetism that occurs in materials where the magnetic moments of atoms cancel each other out. This results in a weak repulsion from an external magnetic field.

3. What are the main assumptions of the Ising model?

The main assumptions of the Ising model are that the magnetic moments of atoms can only have two possible orientations (up or down), and that they only interact with their nearest neighbors in the lattice. Additionally, the model assumes that temperature is the only factor affecting the behavior of the system.

4. How is the Ising model used in scientific research?

The Ising model is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and materials science, to study and predict the behavior of magnetism in different materials. It has also been used in computer simulations to model complex systems and understand the properties of magnetic materials on a microscopic level.

5. What are some limitations of the Ising model?

One limitation of the Ising model is that it is a simplified model and does not account for all the factors that may affect magnetism in real materials. For example, it does not consider long-range interactions or the shape and arrangement of atoms in a material. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum mechanical effects that may be present in certain materials.