How Does the Index in This Vector Calculus Identity Work?

In summary, the homework statement is confusing because j is a summation index and it should be 'i' but it is 'j'.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

I'm a bit confused as to the following vector calculus identity:

[∇ (∇.A)]_i = (δ/δx_i )( δA_j/δx_j)

Shouldn’t it be = (δ/δx_i )( δA_i/δx_i) why is it ‘j’ if we are taking it over ‘i’ ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
j is a "dummy" index, i.e. it is summed over. You could name it whatever you want. Remember that ∇.A is a scalar so it can't have any indices.

[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf A = \partial_1 A_1 + \partial_2 A_2 + \partial_3 A_3 = \sum_{j=1}^3 \partial_j A_j \equiv \partial_j A_j[/tex]

phsopher said:
j is a "dummy" index, i.e. it is summed over. You could name it whatever you want. Remember that ∇.A is a scalar so it can't have any indices.

[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf A = \partial_1 A_1 + \partial_2 A_2 + \partial_3 A_3 = \sum_{j=1}^3 \partial_j A_j \equiv \partial_j A_j[/tex]

Ok. But why are we summing over 'j'? This is where I am getting confused. Shouldn't it be 'i'

hhhmortal said:
Ok. But why are we summing over 'j'? This is where I am getting confused. Shouldn't it be 'i'

Because j is the repeated index (it appears as an upper and lower index simultaneously) and due to Einstein summation convention, the repeated index must be summed over all possible values for that index.

AB

Altabeh said:
Because j is the repeated index (it appears as an upper and lower index simultaneously) and due to Einstein summation convention, the repeated index must be summed over all possible values for that index.

AB

Ok I'm missing something out here. I'm summing over 'i' and 'i' appears as the repeated index..how does 'j' come into this. I can't see how it appears as a lower and upper index simultaneously.

Let's start from the beginning. First consider ∇.A. This is

[itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf A = \partial_1 A_1 + \partial_2 A_2 + \partial_3 A_3 = \sum_{j=1}^3 \partial_j A_j [/itex]

Do you agree so far? The j is just a summation index, i.e. it is not a fixed number but rather it gets all values from 1 to 3. We could have used any other letter instead of j, it doesn't matter. It's just a label.

If we use the Einstein's summation convention that means we drop the summation sign and agree that whenever an index appears twice it is summed over. Thus we write [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf A = \partial_j A_j[/itex]

Now consider ∇(∇.A). This is a vector and we decide to only consider one component - the i'th component. Now i is a fixed index - it is not summed over. i.e. it refers to a particular component we are considering. So using our earlier expression for ∇.A we write [itex][\nabla(\nabla \cdot \mathbf A)]_i = \partial_i (\partial_j A_j)[/itex]

Does that make it more clear?

Related to How Does the Index in This Vector Calculus Identity Work?

What is a vector calculus identity?

A vector calculus identity is a mathematical equation that relates different vector quantities in a specific way. It is used to simplify and solve problems in vector calculus.

What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some common vector calculus identities include the dot product identity, the cross product identity, and the triple scalar product identity.

How are vector calculus identities used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus identities are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and solve problems involving motion, forces, and geometric relationships.

Why are vector calculus identities important?

Vector calculus identities are important because they allow us to manipulate and simplify complex vector equations, making them easier to solve. They also provide a deeper understanding of the relationships between vector quantities.

Can vector calculus identities be proven?

Yes, vector calculus identities can be proven using mathematical techniques such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. These proofs help to demonstrate the validity and usefulness of the identities.