How does the Fourier transform of f(t)=exp(-ltl) behave at infinity?

In summary, the Fourier transform of f(t)=exp(-|t|) is 1/√2π(1/(1+ω^2), which approaches 0 as ω approaches ±∞. The limit of the complex exponential term, exp(-iωt), does not exist as t approaches ±∞, but the overall expression has a limit of 0 due to the presence of the exp(-|t|) factor.
zezima1

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier transform of f(t)=exp(-ltl)

Homework Equations

The expression for the Fourier transform.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the Fourier transform I get an expression, where I have to take the limit of t->-∞ of exp(-i[itex]\omega[/itex]t) - how do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
zezima1 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier transform of f(t)=exp(-ltl)

Homework Equations

The expression for the Fourier transform.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the Fourier transform I get an expression, where I have to take the limit of t->-∞ of exp(-i[itex]\omega[/itex]t) - how do I do that?

What is the expression you obtained?

Yes I better post it - just tried to avoid it since I'm not good at latex. I get:
1/√2π(∫-∞0exp(t-iωt)dt + ∫0exp(-t-iωt)dt)
=
1/√2π([1/(1-iω)exp(t-iωt)]-∞0+[-1/(1+iω)exp(-t-iωt)]0

Last edited:
zezima1 said:
Yes I better post it - just tried to avoid it since I'm not good at latex. I get:
1/√2π(∫-∞0exp(t-iωt)dt + ∫0exp(-t-iωt)dt)
=
1/√2π([1/(1-iω)exp(t-iωt)]-∞0+[-1/(1+iω)exp(-t-iωt)]0

OK, that looks right. But look more carefully: the limit you need is not

[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \exp(-i\omega t)[/tex]
but rather
[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \exp(-|t|)\exp(-i\omega t)[/tex]

oh god yes :)

But still: What if exp(-iwt) tends to infinity? Okay I don't think it does since its a sum of a real cos and an imaginary sin but still I want to know how to calculate the limit of the term with the complex exponential :)

Either way I get:

1/√2π *(1/(1+ω2)

Do you also get that? :)

nvm that was almost correct but got the right one now :)

[itex]\exp(-i\omega t)[/itex] has no limit as [itex]t \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. It just spins endlessly around the unit circle in the complex plane.

[itex]\exp(-|t|)\exp(-i\omega t)[/itex] spirals endlessly around the origin, but the [itex]\exp(-|t|)[/itex] factor pushes it closer and closer to the origin as t increases toward [itex]\infty[/itex] (or decreases toward [itex]-\infty[/itex]). This is why it has a limit even though one of its factors does not.

You can see this more formally by looking at the magnitude:

[tex]|\exp(-|t|)\exp(-i\omega t)| = |\exp(-|t|)|\cdot |\exp(-i\omega t)| = |\exp(-|t|)| \cdot 1 = |\exp(-|t|)| = \exp(-|t|)[/tex]

which goes to zero as t goes to either [itex]+\infty[/itex] or [itex]-\infty[/itex]. And the magnitude of a function goes to zero if and only if the function itself goes to zero.

Related to How does the Fourier transform of f(t)=exp(-ltl) behave at infinity?

1. What is the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) and why is it important?

The Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its frequency components. It is important in signal processing and other areas of science and engineering because it allows us to analyze and manipulate complex signals in the frequency domain, which may be more useful or informative than the time domain representation.

2. How do you calculate the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl)?

The Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) can be calculated using the standard formula for the Fourier transform, which is an integral of the function multiplied by a complex exponential. In this case, the result is a scaled version of the original function in the frequency domain.

3. What are the properties of the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl)?

The Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) has several important properties, including linearity, time shifting, frequency shifting, and convolution. These properties allow us to manipulate and analyze signals in the frequency domain in a more efficient and effective way.

4. Can the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, such as ordinary differential equations with constant coefficients. By converting the differential equation into the frequency domain, the problem can often be simplified and solved more easily.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl)?

One limitation of the Fourier transform of e^(-ltl) is that it assumes the function is defined for all values of time and that the function is absolutely integrable. Additionally, the Fourier transform may not always exist for certain functions, and it may not be unique for some functions. Care must also be taken when interpreting the results of the Fourier transform, as it can sometimes introduce artifacts or distortions in the frequency domain.