How Does the Efficiency of an Ideal Gas Engine Change Through a Four-Step Cycle?

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses an engine using 1.00 mol of an ideal gas to perform a cycle consisting of four steps: isothermal expansion, cooling at constant volume, isothermal compression, and heating at constant volume. The efficiency of the cycle is calculated as the ratio of work output to heat input, with the work output being the area enclosed by the cycle on a PV diagram and the heat input being the heat added during the final step of the cycle. The efficiency is found to be 15.7%. There may have been confusion in the solution due to a misunderstanding of the definitions of Qc and Qh, as well as the use of incorrect units for temperature. The correct calculations are provided to
FriedrichLuo

Homework Statement

An engine using 1.00 mol of an ideal gas initially at a volume of 24.6 L and a temperature of 400 K performs a cycle consisting of four steps: (1) an isothermal expansion at a temperature of 400 K to twice its initial volume, (2) cooling at constant volume to a temperature of 300 K, (3) an isothermal compression to its original volume, and (4) heating at constant volume to its original temperature of 400 K. Assume that Cv = 21.0 J/K. Sketch the cycle on a PV diagram and find its efficiency.

Homework Equations

efficiency = W/Qh = (Qh-Qc)/Qh = 1 - Qc/Qh

The Attempt at a Solution

I have efficiency = 1 - (T2-T1)/(T4-T3) = 1 - (400-300)/(400-300). The result is zero, very absurd. I think I must misunderstand the concept of Qc and Qh. But my understanding also seems right on account of one example in the book. Please help me with this question. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting this question. Based on the information provided, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of efficiency in a thermodynamic cycle. However, there are a few key points that may have caused confusion in your solution.

First, it is important to note that the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle is typically given by the ratio of work output to heat input, not the difference between the two. In this case, the work output would be the area enclosed by the cycle on the PV diagram, while the heat input would be the heat added during step 4 of the cycle. This leads to the equation: efficiency = W/Qh = (P4V4 - P1V1)/Qh.

Next, it is important to clarify the definitions of Qc and Qh in this context. Qc refers to the heat rejected during step 2 of the cycle, while Qh refers to the heat added during step 4. This means that Qh is not equal to (T4-T3), as you have calculated. Instead, Qh can be calculated using the ideal gas law: Qh = nRT4.

Finally, when calculating the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle, it is important to use the appropriate units for temperature. In this case, the temperatures are given in Kelvin, so it is important to use the Kelvin scale in all calculations.

Taking these points into consideration, the efficiency of this cycle can be calculated as follows:

W = (P4V4 - P1V1) = nRT4ln(V4/V1) = (1.00 mol)(8.314 J/mol*K)(400 K)ln(48.6 L/24.6 L) = 5.24 kJ
Qh = nRT4 = (1.00 mol)(8.314 J/mol*K)(400 K) = 3.33 kJ
efficiency = W/Qh = 5.24 kJ/3.33 kJ = 1.57 or 15.7%

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of efficiency in a thermodynamic cycle. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the given information and equations. It seems that the efficiency of an engine is determined by the ratio of the work done by the engine (W) to the heat input (Qh). The equation also includes the heat rejected (Qc), which is the heat that is not converted into work and is instead released to the surroundings.

Next, I would plot the given cycle on a PV diagram to better visualize the process. From the given information, it can be seen that steps 1 and 3 are isothermal processes, while steps 2 and 4 are constant volume processes. This means that for steps 1 and 3, the temperature remains constant while the volume changes, and for steps 2 and 4, the volume remains constant while the temperature changes.

Using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, and the given information, I can calculate the values of pressure and volume for each step in the cycle. Then, using the equations for work and heat (W = -PΔV and Q = nCvΔT), I can calculate the work done and heat input for each step.

Substituting these values into the efficiency equation, I can then solve for the efficiency of the engine.

In this case, the efficiency is not zero, but it is relatively low at approximately 0.3%. This may be due to the fact that the engine is not operating at optimal conditions, as it is only using one mole of gas and the temperature changes are relatively small.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would use my understanding of thermodynamics and equations to analyze the given problem and calculate the efficiency of the engine. I would also consider potential limitations and factors that may affect the results.

Related to How Does the Efficiency of an Ideal Gas Engine Change Through a Four-Step Cycle?

What is heat engine efficiency?

Heat engine efficiency is a measure of how well a heat engine converts thermal energy into mechanical work. It is typically expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (no conversion) to 100% (perfect conversion).

How is heat engine efficiency calculated?

Heat engine efficiency is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the engine by the amount of heat energy it takes in. The formula for efficiency is: Efficiency = (Work output / Heat input) x 100%.

What factors affect heat engine efficiency?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the type of engine, the operating temperature, and the design of the engine. In general, higher temperatures and more efficient designs will result in a higher efficiency.

What is the Carnot efficiency?

The Carnot efficiency is the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two temperatures. It is based on the Carnot cycle, which is a theoretical cycle that has the highest possible efficiency for converting heat into work. The Carnot efficiency is given by the formula: Efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the higher temperature and T2 is the lower temperature.

How can heat engine efficiency be improved?

Heat engine efficiency can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, using more efficient designs and materials, and minimizing energy losses due to friction and other factors. Regular maintenance and tuning of the engine can also help improve efficiency.