How does the chain rule apply to acceleration in the context of mechanics?

In summary: This is the kind of thing you have to do all the time when dealing with non-linear differential equations.In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Chain Rule in the context of the equation for net work. It is explained that the chain rule is valid for a function of one variable, in this case v as a function of x, where x is also a function of t. The concept is further clarified by rewriting the equation with v as a composite function of x and t.
milesyoung
Hi, I'm new to these forums so not exactly sure where to place this question, although calculus seems a good bet, so here goes:

I'm currently taking a mechanics course at my university (current subject is work/energy), and I'll just post this snippit from our textbook (Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics 7th edition, Jewett/Serway):

[snippit]

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
W_{net}=\int^{x_f}_{x_i}\sum F\,dx
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Using Newton's second law, we substitute for the magnitude of the net force [itex]\sum F=ma[/itex] and then perform the following chain-rule manipulations on the integrand:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
W_{net}&=\int^{x_f}_{x_i}ma\,dx=\int^{x_f}_{x_i}m\frac{dv}{dt}\,dx=\int^{x_f}_{x_i}m\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\,dx=\int^{v_f}_{v_i}mv\,dv\\
W_{net}&=\frac{1}{2}{mv_f}^2-\frac{1}{2}{mv_i}^2
\end{align*}
[/tex]

[/snippit]

How is:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

legal in this context?

I know the Chain Rule states the following:

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\cdot\frac{du}{dx}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

But this is valid only (to my understanding) for the derivative of the composite of two functions.

If anyone could help me sort this out, I'd be much obliged.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

milesyoung said:
How is:

legal in this context?

I know the Chain Rule states the following:

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\cdot\frac{du}{dx}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

But this is valid only (to my understanding) for the derivative of the composite of two functions.

Hi milesyoung! Welcome to PF! :smile:

v can be defined as a function of t or of x

for example, you're probably familiar with the constant acceleration equations

v = u + at

v2 = u2 + 2ax

in the first, v is expressed as a function of t (only),

in the second, v is expressed as a function of x (only) :smile:

Thanks for the quick response.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit dense about this, been trying to wrap my head around it for hours and I'm probably just missing something trivial.

What I don't get is how:

[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}
[/tex]

is possible.

For me it would seem like you would need to be able to interpret v as a composite of two functions for the Chain Rule to have a valid use.

milesyoung said:
For me it would seem like you would need to be able to interpret v as a composite of two functions for the Chain Rule to have a valid use.

Nooo … the chain rule is for v a function of one variable (which itself is a function of another variable) …

here, v is a function of the variable x, and x is a function of the variable t :wink:

You're probably having a hard time looking at it this way because it's not usually introduced in this form in most 1st semester calculus classes, so perhaps if you were to rewrite it like this:

[tex]v(t)=v(x(t))[/tex]

[tex]v'(t)=v'(x(t))*x'(t)[/tex]

Helps?

@Tim: Didn't mean to imply that v needed to be interpreted as a function of two variables, just meant v as a composite function, as in [tex]v(x(t))[/tex] :smile:

Thanks for the help. I think I just needed to mull over how v could be a function of x, which in turn is a function of t.

You know that we have x(t) and v(t), so invert x(t) to get t(x), then plug this into v so you have v(t) = v(t(x)) where in my last expression v is a function of x alone.

Related to How does the chain rule apply to acceleration in the context of mechanics?

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows us to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity, where both quantities are changing.

2. How does the chain rule work?

The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, we take the derivative of the outer function and evaluate it at the inner function, and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. When is the chain rule used?

The chain rule is used when we have a function within a function, also known as a composite function. It is commonly used in situations where we have a variable that is dependent on another variable, such as in physics when calculating acceleration.

4. What is acceleration and how is it related to the chain rule?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It is related to the chain rule because velocity is a function of time, and the chain rule allows us to find the derivative of a function with respect to time, which is necessary for calculating acceleration.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with any number of variables. In these cases, the derivative is found by taking the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.