Can the Chain Rule Help Me Integrate This Tricky Function?

In summary, the conversation was about using the chain rule to integrate the function $\frac{\sec^2(t)}{(1+\tan(t))^2}$ and rewriting it as $\frac{1}{(1+u)^3}$. This can be integrated as $\frac{-1}{2(1+\tan(t))^2}+C$. The conversation also mentioned the general formula for integrating ${x}^n$ and the importance of correctly identifying the correct form for integration.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$$\tiny\text{Whitman 8.7.15 Chain Rule} $$
$$\displaystyle
I=\int \frac{\sec^2\left({t}\right)}{\left(1+\tan\left({t}\right)\right)^2}\ d{t}
=\frac{-1}{2\left(1+\tan\left({t}\right)\right)}
+ C$$
$\begin{align}\displaystyle
u& = \tan\left({t}\right)&
du&= \sec^2 \left({t}\right)\ d{t} \\
\end{align}$

$\text{so.. chain rule} $

$
\displaystyle
\int {x}^{n} \ dx = \frac{{x}^{x+1}}{n+1}+C
$

$\text{rewrite and integrate} $
$$I=\int \frac{1}{\left(1+u\right)^3} d{u}
=\frac{-1}{2\left(1+\tan\left({t}\right)\right)^2}
+ C
$$

$\tiny\text
{from Surf the Nations math study group}$
🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$$\tiny\text{Whitman 8.7.15 Chain Rule} $$
$$\displaystyle
I=\int \frac{\sec^2\left({t}\right)}{\left(1+\tan\left({t}\right)\right)^2}\ d{t}
=\frac{-1}{2\left(1+\tan\left({t}\right)\right)}
+ C$$
$\begin{align}\displaystyle
u& = \tan\left({t}\right)&
du&= \sec^2 \left({t}\right)\ d{t} \\
\end{align}$

$\text{so.. chain rule} $

$
\displaystyle
\int {x}^{n} \ dx = \frac{{x}^{x+1}}{n+1}+C
$

$\text{rewrite and integrate} $
$$I=\int \frac{1}{\left(1+u\right)^3} d{u}
=\frac{-1}{2\left(1+\tan\left({t}\right)\right)^2}
+ C
$$

$\tiny\text
{from Surf the Nations math study group}$
🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄

You somehow changed the integrand into the reciprocal of a cubic when it was originally the reciprocal of a quadratic...

The given should of been a cube. Thanks for the catch. Hope the rest is OK.

Related to Can the Chain Rule Help Me Integrate This Tricky Function?

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you must first identify the outer and inner functions of the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, substitute the inner function into the resulting expression to get the final derivative.

Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that are composed of multiple simpler functions. This is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the inner and outer functions are differentiable. However, it may become more complicated for more complex functions with multiple layers of composition.

Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Yes, some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, incorrectly applying the power rule, and not substituting the inner function into the final expression. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.