How Does the Central Limit Theorem Apply to Insurance Risk Assessment?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the expected income of the assurance company and using the Central Limit Theorem to calculate the approximate probability of the assurance company suffering a loss. The final formula involves normalizing the probability using the expected income and using the cumulative distribution function of the standard normal distribution. I hope this helps. Best of luck!
twoflower
Hi all, I just wrote a test from probability and had troubles doing this problem:

Homework Statement

The assurance company makes an insurance for 1000 people of the same age. The probability of death during the year is 0.01 for each of them. Each insured person pays 1.200 dollars a year. In case of death the assurance company pays 80.000 dollars. Figure out:

a) expected income of the assurance company

b) approximate probability of that the assurance company will suffer a loss, knowing that [itex]u_{0.9} = 1.28[/itex], [itex]u_{0.95} = 1.64[/itex] and [itex]u_{0.975} = 1.96[/itex], where [itex]u_{\alpha}[/itex] is [itex]\alpha[/itex]-quantil of the normal distribution [itex]N(0,1)[/itex].

The first one was quite easy, it's just the expected value of binomial distribution.

But I couldn't solve the second one. I know it's an example of using the Central limit theorem, but I was confused of what to actually put in the theorem...I computed the 'critical value' A in the sense that if more than A people die during the year, the assurance company will suffer a loss. So I got

[tex]
P(\mbox{assurance companny will suffer a loss}) = P(\mbox{number of people who died} > A) = 1 - P(\mbox{number of people who died} < A)
[/tex]

[tex]
= 1 - P\left(\sum_{i=1}^{1000} X_{i} < A\right)
[/tex]

where [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{1000} X_{i} \sim Bi(1000, 0.01)[/itex]

Then I normalized the probability so that I got [itex]N(0,1)[/itex]. Is it the right approach? Because I got strange numbers which didn't seem anyhow related to those we had been given (those quantils).

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question and thought process. I can understand your confusion and I would like to offer some insights that may help you solve this problem.

Firstly, your approach seems correct. You have correctly identified that this is an example of using the Central Limit Theorem. Your formula for calculating the probability of the assurance company suffering a loss is also correct.

However, the reason you are getting strange numbers is because you have not taken into account the expected income of the assurance company. Remember, the expected income of the assurance company is the product of the probability of death and the amount paid by each insured person. So, the formula for calculating the probability of the assurance company suffering a loss should be:

P(\mbox{assurance company will suffer a loss}) = P(\mbox{number of people who died} > A) = 1 - P(\mbox{number of people who died} < A)

= 1 - P\left(\sum_{i=1}^{1000} X_{i} < A\right) * (0.01 * 1,200 * 1000)

= 1 - P\left(\sum_{i=1}^{1000} X_{i} < A\right) * 12,000

Now, when you normalize the probability using the normal distribution, you should use the expected income instead of 1,000. This is because the expected income is a better representation of the actual income of the assurance company. So, the final formula should be:

P(\mbox{assurance company will suffer a loss}) = 1 - P\left(\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{1000} X_{i} - 12,000}{\sqrt{12,000}} < \frac{A - 12,000}{\sqrt{12,000}}\right)

= 1 - P\left(Z < \frac{A - 12,000}{\sqrt{12,000}}\right)

= 1 - P\left(Z < z\right)

= 1 - \Phi(z)

where z = \frac{A - 12,000}{\sqrt{12,000}} and \Phi(z) is the cumulative distribution function of the standard normal distribution.

Now, you can use the given quantiles to find the corresponding z-value and calculate the approximate

Related to How Does the Central Limit Theorem Apply to Insurance Risk Assessment?

1. What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that when independent random variables are added, their sum tends towards a normal distribution, regardless of the distribution of the original variables. This means that as the sample size increases, the distribution of the sample means will approach a normal distribution, even if the population distribution is not normal.

2. Why is the Central Limit Theorem important?

The Central Limit Theorem is important because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample. It also allows us to use normal distribution-based methods, such as the t-test or ANOVA, to analyze data even if the underlying population distribution is not normal. This makes it a crucial tool in statistics and data analysis.

3. What are the assumptions of the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem relies on several assumptions, including: the sample must be random, the observations must be independent, and the sample size must be sufficiently large (usually at least 30). Additionally, the underlying population does not need to be normal, but the sample means must be normally distributed.

4. How does the Central Limit Theorem impact hypothesis testing?

The Central Limit Theorem is essential in hypothesis testing because it allows us to use normal distribution-based tests to make inferences about a population, even if the underlying population distribution is not normal. This is because as the sample size increases, the sample means will approach a normal distribution, making it possible to use tests such as the t-test or ANOVA to compare means between groups.

5. Can the Central Limit Theorem be used for any sample size?

No, the Central Limit Theorem only applies when the sample size is sufficiently large. The exact sample size needed depends on the distribution of the population and the desired level of accuracy. However, as a general rule, a sample size of at least 30 is typically considered large enough for the Central Limit Theorem to apply.