How Does the Angle of Incline Affect Current in a Sliding Rod Experiment?

In summary, the conducting rails in the drawing are tilted upwards at an angle of 30.0° with respect to the ground. The vertical magnetic field has a magnitude of 0.048 T. A 0.22 kg aluminum rod slides without friction down the rails at a constant velocity. To find the current flowing through the bar, the force equation F=ma is used. However, the angle of 30.0° is not used in this equation. Instead, it is used to find the force with F=ILBsin(theta). After some confusion, it is determined that the correct angle to use is 60.0°, not 30.0° or 90.0°. Using this angle,
kpangrace
:rolleyes: The two conducting rails in the drawing are tilted upwards so they make an angle of 30.0° with respect to the ground. The vertical magnetic field has a magnitude of 0.048 T. The 0.22 kg aluminum rod (length = 1.6 m) slides without friction down the rails at a constant velocity. How much current flows through the bar?
p21-35.gif

ok so I'm really completely lost here, but let me give you guys what I'm thinking, see if you could lead me in the right direction

I'm expecting that you don't use that 30 degrees as part of F= ILB sin(theta), but rather you use it to find force with F=ma right? if that's the case, how would you find the acceleration? would it just be 9.8 for gravity, or would it be something else because you're not going straight down... but then i have a problem with velocity being constant, which means there would be no acceleration... but there has to be gravity...

(i'm sorry if i seem all over the place :confused: just confused)

so here's what I've done and it didn't work

F=ma

F= .22 * 9.8sin30
F= 1.078
F= I L B sin(theta)
1.078= I 1.6*.048 sin 90
I =14.036

thats not the right answer, but to me that seems the only logical way to go about answering this problem... any info would help thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind i figured it out, its sin(60), not sine of 30 or 90... you can kill this thread if you wish!

I would first clarify some of the information provided in the problem. The 30-degree angle mentioned in the problem is not relevant to the calculation of the current flowing through the bar. It is only mentioned to indicate the orientation of the conducting rails.

To find the current flowing through the bar, we can use the equation F = ILBsin(theta). In this case, the force (F) is equal to the weight of the bar, which is given by mg (mass x gravity). The angle (theta) in this case is 0 degrees, as the bar is sliding straight down the rails. The magnetic field (B) is given as 0.048 T. So the equation becomes:

mg = ILBsin(0)

Solving for I, we get:

I = mg / (LB)

Substituting the given values, we get:

I = (0.22 kg) * (9.8 m/s^2) / (1.6 m * 0.048 T) = 3.426 A

Therefore, the current flowing through the bar is 3.426 A. This current will remain constant as the bar slides down the rails at a constant velocity, as there is no force acting to change its speed.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and the approach to solving it. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Does the Angle of Incline Affect Current in a Sliding Rod Experiment?

1. What is a magnetic field on a slope?

A magnetic field on a slope refers to the area where a magnetic force is present due to the interaction between a magnetic object or field and a sloped surface.

2. How is a magnetic field affected by a slope?

A magnetic field on a slope is affected by the angle of the slope, as well as the strength and orientation of the magnetic field. The magnetic force is strongest when the field is perpendicular to the slope and weakest when it is parallel.

3. What are the practical applications of a magnetic field on a slope?

A magnetic field on a slope has various practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation technology, where a magnetic field is used to overcome the force of gravity on a sloped surface. It is also used in geophysical exploration to detect and map subsurface structures.

4. How is a magnetic field on a slope measured?

A magnetic field on a slope can be measured using specialized instruments, such as a magnetometer, which detects changes in the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The measurements are typically recorded and analyzed to understand the behavior of the field on the slope.

5. Can a magnetic field on a slope be manipulated?

Yes, a magnetic field on a slope can be manipulated by changing the angle of the slope or by altering the strength and orientation of the magnetic field. This can be done using electromagnets or by adjusting the position and orientation of a magnet on the slope.