How Does the -1 Arise in This Series to Function Conversion?

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite sum that is replaced by a function in a proof. The function involves a constant term that is missing from the left side of the equation, but can be found by moving it from the right side to the left. The conversation ends with the person understanding the reasoning behind the missing term.
transmini
I ran across an infinite sum when looking over a proof, and the sum gets replaced by a function, however I'm not quite sure how.

$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{MK^{n-1}|t-t_0|^n}{n!} = \frac{M}{K}(e^{K(t-t_0)}-1)$$

I get most of the function, I just can't see where the ##-1## comes from. Could someone help show that?

Physics news on Phys.org
transmini said:
I ran across an infinite sum when looking over a proof, and the sum gets replaced by a function, however I'm not quite sure how.

$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{MK^{n-1}|t-t_0|^n}{n!} = \frac{M}{K}(e^{K(t-t_0)}-1)$$

I get most of the function, I just can't see where the ##-1## comes from. Could someone help show that?

The first term in the expansion of ##e^x## is ##1##, usually put in the sum with index ##0##. In your case the sum starts with ##n=1## so the constant term is missing on the left side. If you move the constant term from the right side to the left you will see it.

LCKurtz said:
The first term in the expansion of ##e^x## is ##1##, usually put in the sum with index ##0##. In your case the sum starts with ##n=1## so the constant term is missing on the left side. If you move the constant term from the right side to the left you will see it.
Oh, not sure how I missed that. That makes sense, thanks

Related to How Does the -1 Arise in This Series to Function Conversion?

1. What is a series expansion to function?

A series expansion to function is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a sum of simpler functions. It allows for the approximation of complex functions by using a finite number of terms in the series.

2. How is a series expansion to function calculated?

A series expansion to function is typically calculated using the Taylor series or the Maclaurin series. These involve taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into a formula to generate the series.

3. What is the purpose of using a series expansion to function?

The purpose of using a series expansion to function is to simplify the representation of a function and make it easier to work with. It also allows for the approximation of a function, which can be useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. What are the limitations of a series expansion to function?

A series expansion to function is limited by the accuracy of the approximation, as it only uses a finite number of terms. It may also be limited by the convergence of the series, which means that the series may not accurately represent the function for all values of the independent variable.

5. How is a series expansion to function used in scientific research?

A series expansion to function is used in scientific research to approximate complex functions and make them easier to analyze. It is also used in modeling and simulation to represent real-world phenomena and make predictions. Additionally, it is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve differential equations and study the behavior of systems.