How Does Temperature Affect the Angular Velocity of a Rotating Aluminum Wheel?

In summary, the wheel experiences a fractional change in angular velocity of 3.74 * 10^-3 rad/sec. as a result of the temperature change.
darkAzNk3n

Homework Statement

A 28.4-kg solid aluminum cylindrical wheel of radius 0.41m is rotating about its axle in frictionless bearings with angular velocity w = 32.8 rad/s. If the temperature is then raised from 20.0 degrees celcius to 95.0 degrees celcuis, what is the fractional change in angular velocity w?

Homework Equations

delta l = alpha*l*delta T T=temperature
v=rw w=angular frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the thermal expansion equation and found the change in Radius r.
I also assumed that because the wheel was on frictionless bearings that velocity v was constant.
so finding the change in r, i pluged into the angular frequency equation delta w = v/delta r.

is that in any way correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
darkAzNk3n said:
I also assumed that because the wheel was on frictionless bearings that velocity v was constant.
This assumption is wrong, but other than that, you're kind of thinking along the right lines.

Think about it this way: the fact that the wheel is on frictionless bearings means that the force acting to rotate it is zero. That in turn means that the torque on the wheel is zero. What quantity is constant (a.k.a. conserved) for a rotating object with no torque on it?

diazona said:
. What quantity is constant (a.k.a. conserved) for a rotating object with no torque on it?

the only thing i can come up with is that the radius is constant but, wouldn't the wheel have to expand which would increase the radius for there to be a change in the angular velocity?

Nope, it's not the radius.

What conservation laws have you learned about?

diazona said:
Nope, it's not the radius.

What conservation laws have you learned about?

Conservation of energy and momentum pop up at the top of my head

OK, good, but there's a third conservation law that you'll need for this problem. What's the one that applies specifically to rotating objects?

diazona said:
OK, good, but there's a third conservation law that you'll need for this problem. What's the one that applies specifically to rotating objects?

Conservation of Angular Momentum?

dL/dt=0 and L = Iw = constant

I think.

Yep, that's the one. Now how can you use that in this problem?

As a first step, what's I for a solid cylindrical wheel?

I got I = 1/2 mr^2

then L = 1/2 mwr^2

but what bout the L?

do i find the change in radius with the thermal expansion equation then plug that radius back into the angular momentum equation?

Why, do you have another idea as to how to proceed?

Try it and post your work here :wink:

hmm

since we know L=Iw and since I=Mr^2/2, L = (wMr^2)/2=constant

and from thermal expansion equation, we know delta r = alpha*r0*delta T

we can then add r0 and delta r to find the new r

then we plug back into L = (wMr^2)/2
and from the conservation of angular momentum we know that L is a constant, we can find new w with the new r, w= 2L/Mr^2
and compare with initial w that's given

hard to follow sorry.

Yep, that's exactly the way to do it.

diazona said:
Yep, that's exactly the way to do it.

o Thanks for the help haha
one down.. four to go.

for the fractional change of w, I got something small like 3.74 * 10^-3 rad/sec. is that right?

Assuming you did the math correctly, I don't see why it shouldn't be.

Related to How Does Temperature Affect the Angular Velocity of a Rotating Aluminum Wheel?

1. What is thermal expansion of a wheel?

Thermal expansion of a wheel refers to the change in size or dimensions of a wheel due to an increase in temperature.

2. How does temperature affect the size of a wheel?

As the temperature of a wheel increases, its molecules start to vibrate and move more, causing the wheel to expand and increase in size. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the wheel contracts and decreases in size.

3. What materials are most affected by thermal expansion in wheels?

Materials that are commonly used in wheels, such as metals like steel and aluminum, are highly affected by thermal expansion. These materials have a high coefficient of thermal expansion, meaning they expand and contract significantly with changes in temperature.

4. How does thermal expansion impact the performance of a wheel?

Thermal expansion can impact the performance of a wheel in various ways. For example, if the wheel expands too much, it can cause the wheel to rub against other parts of the vehicle, affecting its movement and causing wear and tear. It can also affect the balance of the wheel, leading to vibrations or even flat tires.

5. How can thermal expansion be managed in wheels?

To manage thermal expansion in wheels, manufacturers often use materials with a lower coefficient of thermal expansion, such as carbon fiber or certain alloys. They may also use design techniques, such as incorporating gaps or slots in the wheel, to allow for expansion without causing damage. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper inflation of tires can help prevent issues related to thermal expansion in wheels.