How Does Surface Tension Affect the Force Needed to Separate Glass Plates?

• Thread starter ahmeeeeeeeeee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the problem is that the author does not explain how the pressure difference between the water and the air due to the curviture is multiplies by the (whole area) of the sheet.
ahmeeeeeeeeee
Hello ,

A Problem I found In a book , although I have the answer , I can't understand it

the problem is

Calculate the force required to separate two glass plates of area 10 cm^2 each , with a film of water .5mm thick between them . take the coefficent of surface tention (T)to be 72 dyne/cm and theta = 0

The Answer written

since theta = 0 so the radius of curvature of the cylindrical surface between the plates is r = d/2 =.025 cm

((note : I Understand this but what If theta was another angle ??))

Delta P = T/r = 72/.025 = 2880 dyne/cm^2

the Normal force required = Delta P * Area = 2880*10 =2.88*10^4 dyne = .288 N #

I nead some explanation for this

Another _Identical problem_ says

two circular plates of radus 5 cm with 5 mm thick film of water betweem them , If the surface tention = 72.7*10^3 N/m , the normal force required to pull them Apart is what ?

it is the same I know , but in the solution ((the solution this time is not in the book , it is an assistant Engineer at the college)) said that :

Delta P = T(1/R1-1/R2) , R2 = infinity , so Delta P = T/R1

My problem is Why did he write a negative sign ?? I know it won't change the answer but why is it minus or it is just a writing error ??

Physics news on Phys.org
UP>>>>

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension

Zero contact angle means that the wall is tangent to the liquid surface. There are two parallel walls at distance d, therefore the radius of curvature is r=d/2. This is not true for other angles.

ehild

Attachments

• surftension.JPG
    surftension.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 300
Yes I do know that and I wrote that above , I asked what would be (mathematically) the radius curvature if theta was 30 degrees for example

Any way it is not my basic question here :D

I found some answers , but what I can't well understand is

how the pressure difference between the water and the air due to the curviture is multiplies by the (whole area) of the sheet , why ?

Up

Related to How Does Surface Tension Affect the Force Needed to Separate Glass Plates?

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical phenomenon that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like an elastic membrane, resisting external forces and minimizing its surface area.

How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m). It can be measured using various methods, including the drop weight method and the capillary rise method.

What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension is influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the properties of the liquid, such as its viscosity and intermolecular forces.

How does surface tension impact objects on the surface of a liquid?

Surface tension causes objects on the surface of a liquid to float or be supported by the surface, as it creates a thin layer with a higher surface tension than the surrounding liquid. This is why certain insects, such as water striders, can walk on water.

Can surface tension be manipulated?

Yes, surface tension can be altered by adding substances, such as surfactants, which can decrease or increase the surface tension of a liquid. This can have various practical applications, such as in cleaning products or in the formation of emulsions.