How Does Strict Convexity Influence the Gradient Inequality?

In summary: Let p = y-x in R^d and consider the univariate function h(t) = f(x + t*p) for real t. We have h'(t) = grad f(x + t*p) ° p, so h'(0) = grad f(x) ° p . One can show from strict convexity (just by manipulating the convexity-defining property) that the ratio r(s) = \frac{h(s)-h(0)}{s} is strictly increasing in s > 0, so for small positive s we have r(1) > r(s). Fix small s0 > 0 and look at the limit of r
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Let S C Rd be open and convex.
Let f be C1(S).
Prove that if f is strictly convex, then f(y) > f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x) for all x,y in S such that x≠y.
(note: "o" means dot product)

Homework Equations

Strictly convex functions

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose f is stirctly convex.
Then for all x,y in S such that x≠y, 0<s<1,
f[(1-s)x+sy] < (1-s)f(x) + s f(y)
=> f[x+s(y-x)] < f(x) + s[f(y)-f(x)]
=> [f(x+s(y-x)) - f(x)] /s < f(y)-f(x)
=> lim [f(x+s(y-x)) - f(x)] /s lim [f(y)-f(x)]
s->0------------------------s->0
(recall from calculus, we know that a strict inequality, IN THE LIMIT, becomes a loose inequality. And that's why I must write ≤ when I take the limit)

=> grad f(x) o (y-x) ≤ f(y)-f(x)
=> f(y) f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x) for all x,y in S such that x≠y.

BUT what I actually want to prove is >, not ≥. How can I rigorously justify that it should be >? I'm really running out of ideas regarding proving this subtle point.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
kingwinner said:

Homework Statement

Let S C Rd be open and convex.
Let f be C1(S).
Prove that if f is strictly convex, then f(y) > f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x) for all x,y in S such that x≠y.
(note: "o" means dot product)

Homework Equations

Strictly convex functions

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose f is stirctly convex.
Then for all x,y in S such that x≠y, 0<s<1,
f[(1-s)x+sy] < (1-s)f(x) + s f(y)
=> f[x+s(y-x)] < f(x) + s[f(y)-f(x)]
=> [f(x+s(y-x)) - f(x)] /s < f(y)-f(x)
=> lim [f(x+s(y-x)) - f(x)] /s lim [f(y)-f(x)]
s->0------------------------s->0
(recall from calculus, we know that a strict inequality, IN THE LIMIT, becomes a loose inequality. And that's why I must write ≤ when I take the limit)

=> grad f(x) o (y-x) ≤ f(y)-f(x)
=> f(y) f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x) for all x,y in S such that x≠y.

BUT what I actually want to prove is >, not ≥. How can I rigorously justify that it should be >? I'm really running out of ideas regarding proving this subtle point.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Suppose x and y are given points in S, with x ≠ y. What happens if you assume f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x)?

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Suppose x and y are given points in S, with x ≠ y. What happens if you assume f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x)?

RGV

I was trying to set up something like this and I need to try to reach a contradiction. But the problem is I can't find where the contradiction is. (or in other words, I need to show that f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x) => x=y. But I can't think of a way of showing it...)
What kind of manipluations do I have to do with f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x)? I have no idea what to do next after assuming f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x).

kingwinner said:
I was trying to set up something like this and I need to try to reach a contradiction. But the problem is I can't find where the contradiction is. (or in other words, I need to show that f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x) => x=y. But I can't think of a way of showing it...)
What kind of manipluations do I have to do with f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x)? I have no idea what to do next after assuming f(y) = f(x) + grad f(x) o (y-x).

Let p = y-x in R^d and consider the univariate function h(t) = f(x + t*p) for real t. We have h'(t) = grad f(x + t*p) ° p, so h'(0) = grad f(x) ° p . One can show from strict convexity (just by manipulating the convexity-defining property) that the ratio [tex] r(s) = \frac{h(s)-h(0)}{s} [/tex] is strictly increasing in s > 0, so for small positive s we have r(1) > r(s). Fix small s0 > 0 and look at the limit of r(s) as s --> 0+. We have r(1) > r(s0) >= limit r(s) = h'(0) = grad f(x) ° p .

Note: I leave it to you to show that r(s) is a strictly increasing function.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to How Does Strict Convexity Influence the Gradient Inequality?

1. What is a strictly convex function?

A strictly convex function is a type of mathematical function where the line connecting any two points on the graph of the function lies above the function itself. In other words, the function is always curving upwards and never has any flat sections or dips.

2. How is a strictly convex function different from a convex function?

A convex function is a function where the line connecting any two points on the graph of the function lies above or on the function itself. This means that a convex function can have flat sections or dips, while a strictly convex function cannot.

3. What is the significance of a strictly convex function?

Strictly convex functions are important in optimization and convex optimization problems because they have unique global minima. This makes them useful for finding the optimal solution to a problem.

4. Can a strictly convex function have more than one global minimum?

No, a strictly convex function can only have one global minimum. This is because the function is continuously increasing and does not have any dips or flat sections where a lower minimum could occur.

5. How can I determine if a function is strictly convex?

To determine if a function is strictly convex, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative of the function is always positive, then the function is strictly convex. You can also visually inspect the graph of the function to see if it is always curving upwards.