How Does Speed Affect Force and Power?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, power, and speed in weightlifting. It is argued that using 80% of the maximum weight will result in the same average force, regardless of the speed of the lift. However, it is also noted that using a slower rep speed may result in the same average force, but more power and work energy are used due to the increased distance covered. The conversation also brings up the topic of energy expenditure and how faster movements result in burning more calories. There is also a debate about the inclusion of time and air resistance in calculations of force and power.
waynexk8
Force and Power ?

As far as I understand, if I was to accelerate a weight to 80% only, and then no matter the speed of the lift, the average force {strength} will always be the same.

If your RM is 200 pounds, but using 80% = 160 pounds, and your accelerating with the greatest force/speed/strength for 80% of the rep, that is roughly 200 pounds of force being used. Say the rep speed is .5/.5.

However, not average force, as then the force goes nearly down to zero for the last 20% so take off 20% off 200 = 160 pounds.

In addition, if you use a slow concentric at say 2 seconds, full rep is 2/4, you constantly only punching for the whole ROM, thus you too use 160 pounds of average force.

Question 1,

However, I will be able to move this 160 pounds 5 more times in the same time frame as the 2/4 rep, also 5 more times the distance in the same time frame.

So have not in some way used my average force {strength} 5 times ? And used more power {work energy} ?

As if you shot a putt at .5 of a second to 2 seconds, it is going to go further, thus using more force {strength} power {work energy} ?

Question 2,

Fast lifting,
Weight lifting (free weight, nautilus or universal-type), power lifting or bodybuilding, vigorous effort.

In 1 minute, you burn 10 energy {calories}

Slow lifting,
Weight lifting (free, nautilus or universal-type), light or moderate effort, light workout, general

In 1 minute, you burn 5 energy {calories}

Thus, whatever activity you do in life, the faster you do it in the same time frame, the more energy {calories you burn doing it fast.

New video proving my point.

http://www.youtube.com/user/waynerock99 ... bRVQ_nmhpw

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The main issue in the debate, is that another person on a forum, I call D. Says that the force {strength} power {work energy} used in all rep speeds are equal ! However, I pointed out to him, that he has to include the dimension TIME, to make the study fair and non biased. However, he seems to think that me saying you can do 6 reps {reps is repping up and down with a weight in the gym} at .5/.5 {.5 concentric .5 eccentric} = 6 seconds to his 1 in the same time frame at 2/4 – 6 seconds, as I explained above, makes no different.

Here is a little on what D. Wrote. But as I keep saying to him W = mg
(Weight = mass x acceleration of gravity) Yes it would spend more, a huge amount to get it moving, then lots to keep it accelerating, then still quite a lot at a constant speed.

In addition, he does not include air resistance, in his equations ? I told you it is far harder to lift thick short plates to long thin ones. And go try lifting a 112 pounds bag of cement, and then put the same on a bar, you will find it far easier on a bar, because on air distance, friction, gravity, leverage and torque.

Wayne

Related to How Does Speed Affect Force and Power?

1. How does increasing speed affect force and power?

Increasing speed typically results in an increase in force and power. This is because force is defined as the product of mass and acceleration, and power is the rate at which work is done. As an object moves faster, its acceleration increases, resulting in a greater force exerted and more work being done in a given amount of time, leading to an increase in power.

2. What is the relationship between speed, force, and power?

Speed, force, and power are all interrelated. As mentioned before, increasing speed leads to greater force and power. Additionally, power is directly proportional to force and speed, meaning that increasing either of these factors will also result in an increase in power. This relationship is described by the equation P = F * v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity (speed).

3. Does decreasing speed also decrease force and power?

Yes, decreasing speed does result in a decrease in force and power. This is because, as an object slows down, its acceleration decreases, resulting in a lower force exerted and less work being done in a given amount of time. However, it's important to note that this relationship is not always linear, as other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect force and power.

4. How does speed affect the amount of force needed to do work?

Speed affects the amount of force needed to do work by influencing the rate at which work is done. As an object moves faster, the same amount of work can be completed in a shorter amount of time, meaning that less force is needed to do the work. This is why powerful machines, such as cars and airplanes, are designed to operate at high speeds.

5. Can speed ever decrease force and power?

In some cases, speed can decrease force and power. This is particularly true in situations where an object is moving at high speeds and encounters resistance or drag, such as when a car is driving through a dense material like water or air. In these cases, the object's speed may decrease due to the resistance, resulting in a decrease in force and power exerted.