How Does Distance Affect Torque While Maintaining the Same Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between torque and force, specifically in terms of tightening wheels on a car. The question asks how moving farther away can result in a larger torque but still apply the same downward force on the nut. This is because torque and force are two different concepts with different definitions.
Physics is awesome
Question that’s been boggling my mind. If you have a 1 ft torque wrench and your tightening your wheels on you Car and apply a force of 70 pounds 1 ft from the nut I’m applying 70 pounds of downward force on the nut but applying a much larger torque to the nut. Now if I apply a 70 lb force 3” from the nut I am still applying 70 pounds of downward force on the nut so question is how can moving farther away apply a much bigger torque but still apply same downward force on the wheel and nut?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is awesome said:
Question that’s been boggling my mind. If you have a 1 ft torque wrench and your tightening your wheels on you Car and apply a force of 70 pounds 1 ft from the nut I’m applying 70 pounds of downward force on the nut but applying a much larger torque to the nut. Now if I apply a 70 lb force 3” from the nut I am still applying 70 pounds of downward force on the nut so question is how can moving farther away apply a much bigger torque but still apply same downward force on the wheel and nut?
What is the definition of torque?

Physics is awesome said:
If you have a 1 ft torque wrench and your tightening your wheels on you Car and apply a force of 70 pounds 1 ft from the nut I’m applying 70 pounds of downward force on the nut but applying a much larger torque to the nut.
Much larger torque than what? You cannot compare a torque to a force.

Physics is awesome said:
how can moving farther away apply a much bigger torque but still apply same downward force on the wheel and nut?
Because that's how force and torque are defined. If they had the same definition, we wouldn't use two different names for them.

Related to How Does Distance Affect Torque While Maintaining the Same Force?

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque different from force?

Torque and force are related, but they measure different aspects of a physical system. While force is a linear or straight-line push or pull, torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is the Newton-meter (Nm) in the metric system and the foot-pound (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

How does the direction of the force affect torque?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm (the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied), it will create the maximum torque. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be reduced.

What are some real-world applications of torque?

Torque is commonly used in the design and operation of machines, such as engines and gearboxes. It is also important in sports, such as baseball and golf, where the rotation of an object is essential for its performance. In addition, torque is used in everyday tasks, such as tightening screws or opening jars.