How Does Relativity Affect the Measured Angle of a Ramp on a Space Station?

In summary, a carpenter on a space station has constructed a 30 degree ramp, and a rocket with a relative speed of 0.730c moves past the station parallel to the horizontal. The person above the rocket would measure the angle of the ramp to be 40.2 degrees, as observed by the use of trigonometric ratios and Lorentz contractions. The observed height of the ramp remains the same, but the base is Lorentz contracted due to motion in perpendicular directions being independent.
a.a

Homework Statement

A carpenter on a space statopn has constructed a 30 degress ramp. A rocket moves past the space station with a relative speed f 0.730c in a direction parallel to the horizontal. What does a person above the ocker measure for the angle of the ramp?

Homework Equations

sine and cosine relations
L(m) = L(s)sqrt. 1-v^2/c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't been able to simplify far enough to get an angle. I'm not to sure about which length is L(m) or L(s) and I assumed that the angle that the rocker would measure would be from L(m) and H(m), but i arrive at a different answer. The answer is supposed to be 40.2 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show the work you did in detail. Otherwise you won't get help.

Edit: Sorry MG, I didn't see your post there.

Last edited:
does the heigh always stay the same regargless of weather it is starionaty or moveing?

Umm.. so i took another look and i decided to use trig ratios and solve for moveing length and let relativeistic length be root. 3

a.a said:
does the heigh always stay the same regargless of weather it is starionaty or moveing?
That is correct, since motion in perpendicular directions is independent, Lorentz contractions are only observed in the direction in which the observer is travelling. So in this case the observed height is equal to the proper height, but the base of the ramp is observed to be Lorentz contracted.

Related to How Does Relativity Affect the Measured Angle of a Ramp on a Space Station?

1. What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How does the Special Theory of Relativity differ from Newton's laws of motion?

The Special Theory of Relativity differs from Newton's laws of motion in that it takes into account the constant speed of light and the fact that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Newton's laws only apply to objects moving at non-relativistic speeds.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in the Special Theory of Relativity?

The speed of light is considered to be a fundamental constant in the Special Theory of Relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all objects in the universe can travel, and it remains constant regardless of the observer's perspective or the relative motion of objects.

4. Can the Special Theory of Relativity be proven?

The Special Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects at high speeds. Many experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, have confirmed its predictions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity has many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and has led to the development of other theories, such as the General Theory of Relativity.