How Does Rapidity Influence the Lorentz Transformation Matrix?

In summary, the question asks for the condition on a transformation matrix \Lambda in a two dimensional Minkowski space that would preserve the inner product. The attempt at a solution shows that the final form of the matrix is \Lambda=\begin{pmatrix} \cosh \rho & \pm \sinh \rho \\ \pm \sinh \rho & \cosh \rho \end{pmatrix} for some quantity \rho. The remaining step is to show that \rho is the rapidity, which can be done by considering a particle at rest and boosting it to a velocity \beta=v/c, and then relating \rho to \beta.
Brian-san
1. Homework Statement :
Consider a two dimensional Minkowski space (1 spatial, 1 time dimension). What is the condition on a transformation matrix [itex]\Lambda[/itex], such that the inner product is preserved? Solve this condition in terms of the rapidity.

2. Homework Equations :
Rapidity Relations:
[tex]\beta=tanh\theta, \gamma=cosh\theta[/tex]

Inner Product:
[tex]u^T \eta u[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
From the definition of inner product, to preserve inner product when [itex]u'=\Lambda u[/itex], we must have [itex]\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta[/itex]

In matrix form:
[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} \lambda_1 & \lambda_3 \\ \lambda_2 & \lambda_4 \end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} \lambda_1 & \lambda_2 \\ \lambda_3 & \lambda_4 \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

This gives three relations:
[tex]\lambda_1^2-\lambda_3^2=1, \lambda_2^2-\lambda_4^2=-1, \lambda_1\lambda_2=\lambda_3\lambda_4[/tex]

After substituting and solving the equations, letting [itex]\lambda_1=\lambda[/itex], I get the final form of the matrix as:
[tex]\Lambda=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} \lambda & \pm\sqrt{\lambda^2-1} \\ \pm\sqrt{\lambda^2-1} & \lambda \end{array} \right][/tex]

The two matrices are inverses of each other which can be shown easily. Since the Lorentz transformations are like rotations that mix space and time dimensions, I know the final result in terms of rapidity should be:
[tex]\Lambda=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} cosh\theta & \pm sinh\theta \\ \pm sinh\theta & cosh\theta \end{array} \right][/tex]

However, I'm not sure how to get the final step I need, by showing [itex]\lambda=cosh\theta[/itex]. All I can say for sure is based on how the transformations behave at v=0 (returns identity matrix), and v=c (rapidity is infinite), is that λ(0)=1 and the function is strictly increasing to infinity. Obviously hyperbolic cosine fits that description, but so do a lot of other functions. So, I'm not sure what specifically will let me get the function I need.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have so far is correct. You have shown that you can write

[tex]\Lambda = \begin{pmatrix} \cosh \rho & \pm \sinh \rho \\ \pm \sinh \rho & \cosh \rho \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

for some quantity [itex]\rho[/itex]. What is left is to show that [itex]\rho[/itex] is, in fact, the rapidity. To accomplish that, you should take a particle at rest and then boost it to some velocity [itex]\beta = v/c[/itex]; then show how [itex]\rho[/itex] is related to [itex]\beta[/itex].

I.e., you should know independently what the velocity 4-vector (2-vector in this case) should look like after a boost from rest, so use that to find how to interpret the parameter [itex]\rho[/itex].

Related to How Does Rapidity Influence the Lorentz Transformation Matrix?

1. What is the Lorentz transformation matrix?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used in the theory of special relativity to describe the relationship between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It allows us to transform measurements made in one frame to the other frame.

2. How is the Lorentz transformation matrix derived?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is derived from the principles of special relativity, including the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. It is based on the equations developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

3. What does the Lorentz transformation matrix represent?

The Lorentz transformation matrix represents the transformation of coordinates, time, and other physical quantities between two inertial frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It is a 4x4 matrix that includes terms for time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity.

4. When is the Lorentz transformation matrix used?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is used in situations where objects are moving at high speeds or in systems where the effects of special relativity are significant. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, astrophysics, and engineering, particularly in the study of particle accelerators and high-energy phenomena.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz transformation matrix?

The Lorentz transformation matrix has many practical applications, including in GPS technology, where it is used to account for the effects of special relativity on satellite clocks. It is also used in the design and operation of particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to ensure accurate measurements of particle velocities and energies. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of special relativity, helping us understand the fundamental principles of the universe.