How does quantum pseudo-telepathy work, as a quantum circuit?

In summary, The conversation revolves around understanding the wikipedia article on quantum pseudotelepathy and the quantum circuits involved in winning the game described in the article. The individual has a background in computer science and can explain Grover's algorithm and quantum logic circuits, but is not familiar with the underlying physics. They are struggling with understanding the center column and row of the circuit and are looking for an introductory explanation. They eventually find a paper that provides the unitary matrices needed to win the game, but are still unsure of the connection to pauli matrices.
Strilanc
Science Advisor
I'm trying to understand the wikipedia article on quantum pseudotelepathy. I've been trying to figure out the quantum circuits the players can use to win the game from the wiki article.

(Level of knowledge: Everything I know about quantum physics is from the computer science side. I can explain how Grover's algorithm works and understand quantum logic circuits, but I have no idea how those map to the underlying physics or what an observable is or how eigen values relate to observables or how wavefunctions come into things or etc.)

My main stumbling point is what the heck is going on in the center column and row. For example, here's my current terrible guess at a circuit (using this online simulator) for the center column:

gLz55.png

In the above circuit q1 is understood to be entangled with an unseen q1' to be used as part of a corresponding circuit for one of the rows, and the same for q2 and q2'. The circuit is xoring together the X, Y, and Z rotations of the input qubits and using that output to determine the values to place in the cells of the column.

This circuit doesn't work. I know it doesn't work because it's never mixing anything; never taking advantage of superpositions. It could be simulated classically, and the game can't be won with certainty classically.

So... I'm lost. A link to a more introductory explanation would be great. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something related to the pauli XYZ matrices satisfying XYZ = -iI, and rotations in 3d being order-dependent, but I don't know where to apply those facts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Found the answers on my own.

I found this paper really helpful: http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0407221.pdf .

It gives that actual unitary matrices that the entangled bell states must be transformed by (i.e. the gates to apply in each case) in section 5.2. I wrote a program to go through all the possibilities and those matrices are indeed a winning strategy. No idea what they have to do with pauli matrices, though...

Here's a screenshot of the relevant content:

mh9qS.png

Related to How does quantum pseudo-telepathy work, as a quantum circuit?

1. What is quantum pseudo-telepathy?

Quantum pseudo-telepathy is a phenomenon in which two parties, separated by a large distance, are able to communicate and coordinate their actions instantaneously, as if they have a telepathic connection. This is made possible by the principles of quantum mechanics and the use of entangled particles.

2. How does quantum pseudo-telepathy work?

Quantum pseudo-telepathy relies on the concept of entanglement, where two particles become intrinsically linked and share a quantum state. This means that any changes made to one particle will instantly affect the other, regardless of the distance between them. By using quantum circuits, which are networks of quantum gates, we can manipulate the entangled particles to send and receive information, essentially creating a form of communication that is faster than the speed of light.

3. What are quantum circuits?

Quantum circuits are networks of quantum gates, which are the building blocks of quantum computers. These gates are used to manipulate the quantum states of particles, allowing for complex calculations and operations to be performed. In the case of quantum pseudo-telepathy, quantum circuits are used to manipulate entangled particles in order to send and receive information between two parties.

4. Can quantum pseudo-telepathy be used for practical applications?

Currently, quantum pseudo-telepathy is mainly used for scientific research and experiments. However, there is potential for it to be used in practical applications in the future, such as secure communication and quantum computing. As our understanding of quantum mechanics and technology advances, we may discover even more potential uses for quantum pseudo-telepathy.

5. What are the limitations of quantum pseudo-telepathy?

One of the main limitations of quantum pseudo-telepathy is the requirement for entangled particles, which can be difficult to create and maintain. Additionally, the information sent through quantum pseudo-telepathy is limited by the laws of quantum mechanics and cannot be used for sending arbitrary messages. Finally, the distance between the two parties can also affect the success of the communication, as entangled particles can become disentangled over long distances.