How does quantum mechanics affect the classical electrostatic force?

In summary, it is unknown how classical gravitational field to quantum gravitational field is jump, but jump from classical electrostatic field to quantum electrostatic field is known. Apparently, virtual photons are used only as mathematics in theory of perturbations and they don't exist in reality.
exponent137
I read Feynman's quantum electrodynamics, but I do not clearly understand, where quantum mechanics enter.
So if clasicaly force in electrostatic field equals
F = e^2 /4 pi epsilon 0 r^2. What happens, when quanum mechanics is included.
I think that for elementary principle we do need renormalization and screening of charge and so one. We need only F = function of h?

Jump from classical gravitational field to quantum gravitational field is unknown, but jump from classical electrostatic field to quantum electrostatic field is known.

It is possible to say that electrostatic force is consequence of virtual photons, but some say that virtual photons are only mathematical help in approximative area and they are not real.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's a quantum correction to the electrostatic potential. It partly accounts for the Lamb shift in Hydrogen.

Daniel.

I know for these correction. But I do not understand where is different formalism and no matter if it is the same result as classically?
----------------------
For instance: Clasically electromagnetic field pushes "space sail"
Quanum view: Photons pushes "space sail"

Result of calculations in both regimes is the same, but formalism is not.

But what is difference in formalism of force between two charges or electrons classically and in quantum regime?

It is expected that this are virtual photons. But, some say that virtual photons are used only as approximation for convergence and that they are not real.

Last edited:
I will ask differently:I have one question about quantum fields.

As first, i will try to simplify question about quantum fields.
We have one big light ray – coherent.
We can describe it with Maxwell equations or with many of photons. For instance energy, which is produced by this light-ray, can be described in both way.

But we have one standstill charge e_1 with infinite mass. It influence with force
e_1 e_2/(4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2 on another charge, which is standstill. How this force or momentum or energy can be described with quantum field.

This can be simpified that all spins equals zero. Maybe we can see this problem only in one dimension (two plates) or so on.

I am not interested in screening of charge in lamb shift, only in principle, how Planck constant enter here.

How these Feynman's Fourier formulae show r^-2 dependence.

I suppose that virtual photons can describe this example, but I read that virtual photons do not exists, they are used only as mathematics in theory of perturbations.

Last edited:
Still another form of question: We describe real photons with creation and anihilation operators a+, a. Do these operators are used in any form for virtual photons.

Let us simplify as much as possible to describe virtual photons, so:
unrelativistic Quantum field theory, no spins, one particle have infinite mass, maybe the other electron is also described in without quantum mechanics, scalar field. And what is still possible to simplify virtual photon? Maybe two or one dimension instead of three dimensions.

Last edited:

Related to How does quantum mechanics affect the classical electrostatic force?

1. What is the definition of Quantum Electrostatic Force?

The Quantum Electrostatic Force is a fundamental force in physics that describes the interaction between charged particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of charged particles, and is described by the laws of quantum electrodynamics.

2. How does Quantum Electrostatic Force differ from classical electrostatic force?

Quantum Electrostatic Force differs from classical electrostatic force in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. In classical electrostatics, electric charges are considered to be point particles with no size or internal structure, while in quantum electrostatics, charged particles are described as wave-like entities with a probability of being at a certain location.

3. What are the main properties of Quantum Electrostatic Force?

The main properties of Quantum Electrostatic Force include its strength, which is proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. It also has a range of infinite, meaning that it can act over any distance. Additionally, it can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges involved.

4. How is Quantum Electrostatic Force related to other fundamental forces?

Quantum Electrostatic Force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for the interactions between charged particles, while the other forces govern different interactions at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. What are some real-life applications of Quantum Electrostatic Force?

Quantum Electrostatic Force has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as electronics, chemistry, and biology. It is the basis for the behavior of atoms and molecules, and therefore plays a crucial role in chemical reactions. It also enables the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. In biology, it helps to understand the structure and function of proteins, DNA, and other biological molecules.