How does PayPal work for accepting payments on eBay?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, someone is selling various items on eBay and is using PayPal as the method of accepting payment. They have questions about how PayPal works and whether a debit card or bank account number is needed. They also mention that eBay charges fees for every little setting and question if people actually pay to relist items. The user also mentions that they have kept the cost down to $1.80 per item for sale. They then go on to discuss the process of receiving and withdrawing payments from PayPal, as well as the verification process. The user also shares their excitement about selling their items and making a profit.
Cyrus
Im selling some junk on ebay. I decided to use paypal as my method of accepting payment. How does this work? Right now I only have paypal set up with my credit card. Does it need to be a debt card to work, or a bank account number? Or does it just 'refund' my credit card x-amount of dollars?

PS, anyone want a pair of Oakleys (never worn because they can't do prescription), some old sparring gear, or a (Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sony Playstation + Games)? :smile:

I also have Flight simulator 2002 for sale. :rolleyes:

Most of this stuff is almost 10 years old.

Man ebay must make a fortue because they charge you for every damn little setting on there. Do people actually pay to relist-and relist and relist things that don't sell?

Ive kept the cost down to $1.80 per item for sale.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should wait until 2102 to sell your copy of Flight Simulator 2002. It will be worth billions!

- Warren

If you think eBay is rips you off with the fees they charge just to list think, wait until you receive your payments in PayPal (which is owned by eBay) and they take their fees out of that. PayPal takes $.30 out + a certain percentage. I once tested it by sending myself a $.30 payment from one of my accounts to another and they took every penny (but I refunded myself so there was no net loss).

If / When you receive your PayPal payment it will go into your PayPal account (after the fees have been extracted, assuming you have a professional or business account type). In order to get this money out and put it into your pocket (so to speak) you can withdraw it one of several ways…the cheapest (free) of which would be to link you bank account to PayPal and then direct deposit the money from PayPal to your bank.

There is a slight plus to linking your bank account to PayPal…the verification process. In the verification process, PayPal makes two small deposits into your bank account and all you have to do is look at your bank statement and tell them what amounts they were. Then you get to keep that money (how nice of them to give you a few cents for free).

Thanks Mr. Jeffy. Now, please go bid on my crap. 3 people are watching my oakleys now. :smile:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3363/oeakfh0.jpg

Buy now, only 90 bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray, people are watching my stuff and one person bid on the sparring gear!

It feels go to sell old junk rather than throwing it away! Some of this stuff is so old that any amount of money I get back on it is considered to be pure profit in my opinion. I mean, sparring gear that I used almost 10 years ago is selling for 15 bucks! That's awesome! Who do you 'donate' old sparring gear to? I am not going to hang around Karate Do-Jangs asking kids walking in, "hey kid, I got some sparring gear I am going to sell you." :smile:

HEYYYY! Someone just bought my old nintendo, sega, and sony playstation for $60 bucks! Talk about cha-ching! I had to lump it all together because I saw a dozzen users selling each on individully with no bidders, so I figured this was the best way to get anyone to bid on it. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Hooray, I sold my sunglasses for $90 bucks!

Okay, sounds like your question was answered, and while we're happy you're selling your "junk" for a nice "profit," I think it's unnecessary to continue this thread.

Related to How does PayPal work for accepting payments on eBay?

1. What kind of junk are you selling on eBay?

I am selling a variety of items that I no longer need or want, including old clothes, books, electronics, and household items.

2. Are the items in good condition?

Yes, all of the items I am selling are in good condition. I take care of my belongings and make sure to accurately describe any flaws in the item's description.

3. How do you determine the price for your items?

I research similar items on eBay to see how much they are selling for and also take into consideration the condition and rarity of the item. I try to price my items competitively to attract potential buyers.

4. Do you offer returns or refunds?

I do offer returns and refunds if the item is not as described or if it arrives damaged. However, I make sure to accurately describe the item's condition and provide clear photos to avoid any issues.

5. How do you handle shipping and handling?

I use eBay's shipping calculator to determine the cost of shipping based on the buyer's location and the weight of the item. I also include the cost of packaging materials in the shipping price and make sure to securely package the item for safe delivery.

Back