How Does Mass Cancellation Affect Acceleration on an Inclined Plane?

• Thread starter Mohmmad Maaitah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary: Oh lord oh no! yes you are right 🤦Thanks guys now I can see how the mass cancel and I got the acceleration
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
A boy drags his 60N sled at constant speed up a 15 degree hill. He does so by pulling with a 25N force on a rope attached to the sled. If the rope is inclined at 35 degrees to the horizontal

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and snow?

At the top of the hill he jumps on the sled and slides down the hill. What is the magnitude of his acceleration down the slope.
----------------------------
Relevant Equations
How to find a?
I've found M-k it is 0.16
how to find the acceleration? I can't solve it without the quetion telling me the mass of the kid!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Homework Statement: A boy drags his 60N sled at constant speed up a 15 degree hill. He does so by pulling with a 25N force on a rope attached to the sled. If the rope is inclined at 35 degrees to the horizontal

At the top of the hill he jumps on the sled and slides down the hill. What is the magnitude of his acceleration down the slope.
Relevant Equations: How to find a?

I can't solve it without the quetion telling me the mass of the kid!
The masses are irrelevant for the second part. Just put an unknown for it, m, and watch it disappear.

haruspex said:
The masses are irrelevant for the second part. Just put an unknown for it, m, and watch it disappear.
That's what I've been told and I still don't get how!
Can you please show me how so?
Thank you in advance.

Mohmmad Maaitah said:
That's what I've been told and I still don't get how!
Can you please show me how so?
Thank you in advance.
As I suggested, let the boy's mass be m and write out the equations. Use M for the sled's mass, rather than plug in numbers.
Post what you get.

Likes erobz and MatinSAR
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Homework Statement: A boy drags his 60N sled at constant speed up a 15 degree hill. He does so by pulling with a 25N force on a rope attached to the sled. If the rope is inclined at 35 degrees to the horizontal

Relevant Equations: How to find a?

I've found M-k it is 0.16
how to find the acceleration? I can't solve it without the quetion telling me the mass of the kid!
I agree with ##µ_k≈0.16## , Are you sure that the question asks for the acceleration down the slope? Or it asks for velocity?
To find the acceleration, not only the mass of the boy but also the mass of the sled is not needed. Just use Newton's second law for an object sliding down a ramp.

MatinSAR said:
I agree with ##µ_k≈0.16## , Are you sure that the question asks for the acceleration down the slope? Or it asks for velocity?
To find the acceleration, not only the mass of the boy but also the mass of the sled is not needed. Just use Newton's second law for an object sliding down a ramp.
haruspex said:
As I suggested, let the boy's mass be m and write out the equations. Use M for the sled's mass, rather than plug in numbers.
Post what you get.
I get this a =0
1682253325482.jpeg

and in the textbook the asnwer is 1 and idk how

Mohmmad Maaitah said:
I get this a =0
There is no tension force when the boy slides down! First try to draw a free body diagram.
Consider the x-axis along the ramp and the y-axis perpendicular to it.

• Informative
Likes Mohmmad Maaitah
MatinSAR said:
There is no tension force when the boy slides down! First try to draw a free body diagram.
Consider the x-axis along the ramp and the y-axis perpendicular to it.
Oh lord oh no! yes you are right 🤦
Thanks guys now I can see how the mass cancel and I got the acceleration
(I Wish I knew earlier about this forum)
1682254960908.png

Likes MatinSAR and SammyS

Related to How Does Mass Cancellation Affect Acceleration on an Inclined Plane?

1. What does it mean when a boy is dragging a skate up a hill?

Dragging a skate up a hill is often a metaphor for a difficult or challenging situation. It can also suggest that the boy is struggling with something and needs help.

2. Why is the boy dragging a skate up a hill?

The reason behind the boy's actions could vary. It could be a personal challenge or a task assigned to him. It could also be a way for him to cope with stress or emotions.

3. How can I help the boy who is dragging a skate up a hill?

The best way to help the boy would be to offer support and assistance. Ask him if he needs help and listen to his response. Offer words of encouragement and be there for him if he needs to talk.

4. Is it safe for the boy to be dragging a skate up a hill?

It depends on the situation. If the hill is steep and the boy is struggling, it may not be safe for him to continue. It's important to assess the situation and offer help if needed.

5. What can I learn from the boy who is dragging a skate up a hill?

The boy's actions can teach us about perseverance, determination, and resilience. It's important to never give up, even when faced with challenges. We can also learn the value of offering help and support to those in need.