How Does Mass Affect the Oscillation Frequency of a Spider's Web?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the effective spring stiffness constant k for a spider's web, and how it relates to the frequency of oscillation. The participants discuss their attempts at solving the problem and eventually come to the correct solution of 0.22 N/m for k and a frequency of 3.3 Hz for an insect of mass 0.50g. They also mention the importance of making reasonable guesses and being aware of the relationship between frequency and mass.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A small fly of mass 0.29g is caught in a spider's web. The web oscillates predominately with a frequency of 4.4Hz .

a) What is the value of the effective spring stiffness constant k for the web?

b) At what frequency would you expect the web to oscillate if an insect of mass 0.50g were trapped?

Homework Equations

f = (1/2Pi)(k/m)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

a) rearranging the equation

k =m(2Pif)^2 = (.00029kg)(2Pi*4.4Hz)^2 = .22 N/m

mastering physics says I am right on this one. So I figured for part b I just rearrange the equation for f and plug in .0005 for m and .22 for k

f=(1/2Pi)(k/m)^.5 = (1/2Pi)(.22N/m/.0005kg)^.5 = 33Hz

but mastering physics says i am wrong. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression is correct. An estimate (sqrt(2000/5) = 20) yields 20/π, around 3.
As expected: twice as heavy, 1.4 times lower freq.

Hmm... I'm not sure, looks like right to me. using w = root(k/m) and w = 2pif i get the same thing. Did you try 32.9hz?

it said 32.9 was wrong also. and it says in the question it wants 2 sig figs =[

Have you tried adding another sig fig? use .22 for k and .0005 for m and take it out 2 places.

without rounding the answer is 32.94930172. I am not sure if that's what you mean

Yea that's about what I got, but it wants 2 sig figs and 33 isn't working, so maybe they mis stated and want 2 after the decimal? I'm honestly not sure, toothpaste. Your algebra looks good, we got the same answer, and assuming it did in fact say that .22N/m was the correct k value (I didn't double check that), I'd probably just punch it in the face and call it a day, honestly.

Btw, I've been meaning to say something for a while, but I think your name is effing hilarious XD

Likes 1 person
yeah its telling me .22 N/m is correct on the first part. =[ so frustrating.

and thank you! :D i love this username!

anyways thanks for your help i guess ill email my professor, maybe there is a problem with mastering physics.

Listen up, you two: if a.29 g fly swings with 4.5 Hz a HEAVIER fly swings at a LOWER freq. So anything above 4.4 Hz is plain wrong.

Likes 1 person
By increasing the mass the frequency must decrease. You should be aware that 30 something does not make sense if the original frequency was 4.4 Hz.

Check your units and calculations.

Likes 1 person
(1/2Pi)(.22N/m/.0005kg)^.5 is correct.

You must be doing something wrong with your calculator. You are getting the decimal point in the wrong place.

Likes 1 person
Yea I see what you guys are saying, I kind of feel like a noob for not seeing that. That's my bad everyone =[

I just think it's weird we both got the same (wrong) thing.

I forgot parenthesis on my calculator. I entered 20.976/2Pi instead of 20.976/(2Pi)... sorry guys. I got 3.3 this time and mastering physics accepted it

My point is that at all times you should make a reasonable guess about the outcome:
1. The square root can't be far from 20,
2. The freq has to be lower than 4.4 by a factor of around 1.5

Yea i should have noticed that. Sometimes the intuition aspect of it doesn't come very easily to me

Related to How Does Mass Affect the Oscillation Frequency of a Spider's Web?

1. What causes the oscillations in a spider web?

The oscillations in a spider web are caused by external forces such as wind or insects landing on the web. These forces cause the web to vibrate, creating the oscillations.

2. Can the oscillations in a spider web be measured?

Yes, the oscillations in a spider web can be measured using specialized equipment such as a laser vibrometer or high-speed camera. These tools can capture the vibrations of the web and provide data for analysis.

3. How do spiders use the oscillations in their webs to catch prey?

Spiders use the oscillations in their webs to detect the location and size of their prey. When an insect lands on the web, the vibrations travel through the strands to the spider, alerting it to the presence of food.

4. Do different types of spider webs have different oscillation patterns?

Yes, different types of spider webs can have different oscillation patterns depending on the structure and size of the web, as well as the species of spider. Some webs may have a more complex pattern of oscillations compared to others.

5. Can the oscillations in a spider web be affected by environmental factors?

Yes, the oscillations in a spider web can be affected by environmental factors such as wind speed, humidity, and temperature. These factors can alter the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations, potentially impacting the spider's ability to catch prey.