How Does Liquid Depth Affect LDR Readings?

In summary, the experiment involves using a Light Dependent Resistor to measure the effect of liquid depth on light, and the writer is seeking advice on what measurements to take and how to limit errors in the experiment. Advice includes measuring voltage, considering potential sources of error such as light from other sources and the opacity of the liquid, and taking multiple readings for a more accurate result.
RM-Smith
1. The problem statement
I'm currently conducting an investigation into how a Light Dependent Resistor changes depending on the depth of a liquid above it. The experiment is pretty simple, however the write up is somewhat more problematic.
Firstly I'm asking whether I should read voltage, resistance or current from my multimeter
Secondly I have to find errors which may effect the results, explain them and collect further results to limit them, however I'm struggling to think of many, and how to limit them.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1: I know I can use I=V/r, but really I need someone to let me know why I would measure in a particular one.
Question 2: Light from other sources is obviously a big one, and one which I can easily limit, and the factors involved in the opacity of the liquid is another (however I haven't chosen a liquid yet), but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Any other advice would also be incredibly helpful, as this isn't my strongest aspect of physics.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
.Answer 1: You should measure voltage in this experiment as a Light Dependent Resistor is a voltage device, so measuring voltage gives you a direct indication of the amount of light the resistor is receiving.Answer 2: Other potential sources of error include temperature, humidity, the angle of the light source, and the size of the light source. To limit these errors, make sure to keep the temperature and humidity constant, position the light source directly above the LDR, and use a consistent size light source. Additionally, it may be helpful to take multiple readings from different depths and average them to get a more accurate result.

Related to How Does Liquid Depth Affect LDR Readings?

1. What is the purpose of the LDR depth meter investigation?

The purpose of the LDR depth meter investigation is to study the behavior and capabilities of a light-dependent resistor (LDR) when used as a depth meter in various underwater environments. This investigation can provide valuable information for the development of new technologies and applications for LDRs in underwater systems.

2. How does the LDR depth meter work?

The LDR depth meter works by measuring changes in light intensity as the LDR is submerged at different depths. As the depth increases, the amount of light reaching the LDR decreases, causing a change in its electrical resistance. This resistance change can be measured and calibrated to determine the depth of the LDR in water.

3. What are the advantages of using an LDR depth meter?

One of the main advantages of using an LDR depth meter is its simplicity and low cost compared to other depth measurement techniques. LDRs are also highly sensitive to changes in light, making them suitable for use in different environments. Additionally, LDRs are small and lightweight, making them easy to incorporate into various underwater systems.

4. What are the potential limitations of the LDR depth meter?

One limitation of the LDR depth meter is its dependence on light intensity. If the lighting conditions in the underwater environment are not consistent, it may affect the accuracy of the depth measurement. Additionally, LDRs may have a limited depth range and may not be suitable for use in very deep waters.

5. What are some possible future applications of the LDR depth meter?

The LDR depth meter has the potential for use in various underwater systems, such as autonomous underwater vehicles, underwater robotics, and underwater mapping. It could also be used in scientific research to study changes in light intensity in different depths of the ocean. With further advancements and improvements, the LDR depth meter could have even more diverse applications in the future.