How Does Light Reflect Between Two Mirrors Angled at 60.5 Degrees?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pair of vertical plane mirrors with an angle of 60.5 degrees between them. A pencil of light approaches in a direction parallel to one of the mirrors and the question is asked about the direction of the light after it has left the mirrors. The solution involves finding the angle between the reflected light and the second mirror, which is found to be 59 degrees.
Winzer

Homework Statement

A pair of vertical plane mirrors stands with an angle of = 60.5 degrees between them. A pencil of light approaches in a direction parallel to one of them, as shown. After the pencil has left the mirrors, in which direction will it be going? (Give your answer as the angle above the second mirror the light hits.)

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I am just confused on how they want the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
is this how it is?

I'm trying to figure outhow this situation looks. If the diagram I drew is right then logically (since I haven't studied optics yet) if the angle between the mirrors were 90 degrees then then light would hit the other mirror perpendicularly as well, and the light wouldn't hit the mirror the light is parallel to. the angle needs to be less than 90 degrees for the light to hit the mirror that the light is parallel to at all. Since this is the case, I would assume that whatever the angle the light hits the mirror is the difference between 90 degrees and the angle made between the two mirrors. so logically (again only logically) I would say the angle of the reflected light hitting the parallel mirror is 29.5 degrees.

hope that helps, tell me if I'm right that would be awesome if i didn't even look it up.

Attachments

• thisit.jpg
    thisit.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 322
See I tried that as well and it was incorrect. Nice try though.

another try

the other answer I came up with is 59 degrees

how did you get that

changed tactic

k so then I tried to do it from a bird's eye view (see my diagram)

Since the two mirrors make a 60.5 degree angle that means the parallel light and mirror 2 also make a 60.5 degree angle. Since it comes in at that angle it bounces off mirror two, forming a 60.5 degree angle between the reflected light and mirror 2. once it strike the parallel mirror, it forms a triangle. since triangles have 180 degrees to them and you have to angles, I found the third angle... eh?

Attachments

• yadacopy.jpg
    yadacopy.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 602
Ok I get now, its so obvious its embarassing,
thank you

Related to How Does Light Reflect Between Two Mirrors Angled at 60.5 Degrees?

1. What is an optics problem?

An optics problem is a type of scientific problem that involves the study of light and its behavior, including how it interacts with different materials and how it can be manipulated to create images or perform tasks.

2. What are some common examples of optics problems?

Some common examples of optics problems include understanding how lenses and mirrors work, determining the properties of different materials based on how they interact with light, and designing optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes.

3. How are optics problems relevant to real-world applications?

Optics problems are relevant to many real-world applications, including the design of optical instruments, the development of new materials for use in optics, and the creation of new technologies such as lasers and fiber optics for communication and medical imaging.

4. Are optics problems difficult to solve?

The difficulty of an optics problem can vary depending on its complexity and the individual's level of understanding in the subject. Some problems may be more challenging than others, but with a solid understanding of optics principles and problem-solving techniques, most problems can be solved.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving optics problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving optics problems is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common optics principles and equations. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to further develop your skills.