How to solve for angle of reflection in respect to floor?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem that has errors in it and does not have the right information to solve the problem.
AngelLegs

Homework Statement

A student stands 2.7 m in front of a floor-to-ceiling mirror. Her eyes are 1.64 m above the floor and she holds a flashlight at a distance 0.85 m above he floor.
Calculate the angle θ, in degrees, that the flashlight makes with respect to the floor if the light is reflected into her eyes.

Homework Equations

tangent
sine

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll use inverse tangent (1.64m/2.7m) to find the angle, but I'm not sure how to set it up. I'm confused about which angle I'm finding when I use that, and which "triangle" I'm supposed to be solving for, because the light ray makes a triangle when it reflects off the mirror, and the light makes another when it reflects into the students eyes. But I'm having huge complications with figuring which ones to apply to the problem solving process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram. Also, please don't use HUGE bold print. It's unnecessary and some of us view it as obnoxious, like screaming your question.

phinds said:
Draw a diagram. Also, please don't use HUGE bold print. It's unnecessary and some of us view it as obnoxious, like screaming your question.
I'm sorry, I'm new
I don't quite know how to use this website yet
Can you see the photo I posted?

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,063
Yes. I think you have errors in your drawing in that not everything conforms to your problem statement. Another issue is that you don't know the distance of the light from the torso, so you must assume it to be zero (light is being held by side, not out front).

Get the drawing to exactly conform to the problem statement and you then have everything needed to solve this trivial problem.

phinds said:
Yes. I think you have errors in your drawing in that not everything conforms to your problem statement. Another issue is that you don't know the distance of the light from the torso, so you must assume it to be zero (light is being held by side, not out front).

Get the drawing to exactly conform to the problem statement and you then have everything needed to solve this trivial problem.
I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you mean.
Is it like this?

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 835
You're getting the idea. I know you have the right idea but do you really think this is an accurate model of the problem? Why does the light not line up with the stated distance. Stop drawing a stick figure and just draw the geometry.

Related to How to solve for angle of reflection in respect to floor?

1. How do I determine the angle of reflection in respect to the floor?

To determine the angle of reflection in respect to the floor, you will need to use the law of reflection which states that the angle of incidence (incoming angle) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle). This means that the angle of reflection can be solved by measuring the angle of incidence.

2. What is the formula for solving the angle of reflection in respect to the floor?

The formula for solving the angle of reflection in respect to the floor is: angle of reflection = angle of incidence. This means that the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence.

3. Can I use a protractor to measure the angle of reflection in respect to the floor?

Yes, you can use a protractor to measure the angle of incidence and then use the same measurement for the angle of reflection. Be sure to align the protractor along the same line as the incoming and outgoing angles for accurate measurements.

4. What factors can affect the angle of reflection in respect to the floor?

The angle of reflection in respect to the floor can be affected by the angle of incidence, the surface of the floor (smooth or rough), and the material of the floor (reflective or non-reflective).

5. How can I use the angle of reflection in respect to the floor in my experiments or research?

The angle of reflection in respect to the floor can be used to calculate the angle of incidence and determine the properties of the surface. It can also be used to study the behavior of light and its interactions with different surfaces.