How Does Lenz's Law Explain the Movement of a Loop Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

In summary: It would be more accurate to say that the current flows from the top of the diagram to the bottom, and the direction of the loop's current would be clockwise based on that.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic flux through a rectangular loop near a long straight wire carrying a current, and the potential movement of the loop if the current in the wire is suddenly turned off. The answer for part (a) was derived using the equation B=1/2\,\mu_{{0}}ib\ln \left( {\frac {c+a}{c}} \right) {\pi }^{-1}, and for part (b) it is suggested to use Lenz's Law and consider the direction of the loop's current,
joriarty

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows two circuits: a very long straight wire, and a single loop rectangle of dimensions a and b. The rectangle lies in a plane through the wire and is placed a distance c from the long wire as shown. The long straight wire carries a current of I.

[PLAIN]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6890/screenshot20101107at259.png

a. Derive an expression for the magnetic flux Φ through the area of the rectangle. Hint: Consider small strips of area inside the rectangle of length b and width dr.

b. Using the diagram for the previous problem explain what would happen to the position of the rectangular loop if the current through the long straight wire was suddenly switched off and the rectangular loop was free to move.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I derived [tex]B=1/2\,\mu_{{0}}ib\ln \left( {\frac {c+a}{c}} \right) {\pi }^{-1}[/tex].

But I'm not sure how to do part (b). I'm thinking I could use Lenz's Law, if I could find the current direction for the loop. Using the right hand rule I think this current would be going clockwise, same direction as the wire. A current in two wires going in the same direction will mean the loop moves towards the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your part (a) answer.

For part (b), I think you are correct and I agree that the loop current is clockwise. But I have some reservations, because it says the wire current is turned off suddenly. The attraction towards the wire only holds true while the wire's current is reduced, but not yet zero. I guess "suddenly" still allows a small amount of time to take place while the current drops to zero, otherwise there would be no force on the loop.

Also, I wouldn't say that the straight wire has a clockwise current -- that does not make sense.

Related to How Does Lenz's Law Explain the Movement of a Loop Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the direction of induced electromagnetic fields. It states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. What is the relationship between Lenz's Law and Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. Lenz's Law is a specific case of Faraday's Law, stating the direction of the induced electric field and current. In other words, Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law.

3. How does Lenz's Law apply to electromagnetic induction?

Lenz's Law is directly applicable to electromagnetic induction, which describes the process of generating an electric current by moving a conductor through a magnetic field. According to Lenz's Law, the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.

4. What is the significance of Lenz's Law in everyday life?

Lenz's Law plays a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It also helps explain phenomena like eddy currents and electromagnetic braking. Understanding this law is essential for designing and optimizing these technologies.

5. How can Lenz's Law be experimentally demonstrated?

To demonstrate Lenz's Law, you can perform a simple experiment using a magnet and a conducting metal loop. When the magnet is moved towards or away from the loop, a current will be induced in the loop, which will produce a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the magnet. This experiment confirms Lenz's Law by showing that the induced current flows in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.