How Does Integration by Expansion Work for Sine Integrals?

In summary, integration by expansion is a method used in mathematics to solve integrals by expanding the integrand into a series of simpler functions. This method involves expanding the integrand as a series of polynomials using Taylor or Maclaurin series and is useful for solving integrals involving transcendental functions or infinite series. Some advantages of integration by expansion include the ability to solve more complex functions and a systematic approach to integration, but it can also be tedious and time-consuming and may not always provide an exact solution.
wel
Gold Member
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin(xsint) dt
\end{equation}
show that
\begin{equation}
I(x)= 4+ \frac{2x}{\pi}x +O(x^{3})
\end{equation}
as [itex]x\rightarrow0[/itex].

=> I Have used the expansion of McLaurin series of [itex]I(x)[/itex] but did not work.
please help me.

(Note: It is not my homework or coursework question but it is from past exam paper which i am preparing for my exam)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your working.

Maclearen series: $$f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n$$

##f(t)=\sin(x\sin t),\; f(0)=0##

##f'(t)=\cdots##

##f''(t)=\cdots##

etc. until you start getting terms in x3

wel,
Physics Forums rules require that you show what you have tried. I sent you a PM about this, and am closing this thread. You are welcome to start a new thread for this problem, but you need to show what you have tried.

Related to How Does Integration by Expansion Work for Sine Integrals?

1. What is integration by expansion?

Integration by expansion is a method used in mathematics to solve integrals by expanding the integrand into a series of simpler functions. This allows for the integration of more complex functions that cannot be solved using traditional integration methods.

2. How does integration by expansion work?

This method involves expanding the integrand as a series of polynomials using Taylor or Maclaurin series. Then, each term in the series can be integrated using known integration rules, and the resulting series can be summed to find the integral of the original function.

3. When should integration by expansion be used?

Integration by expansion is useful when traditional integration methods, such as substitution or integration by parts, are not applicable or too complicated. It is also helpful for solving integrals involving transcendental functions or infinite series.

4. What are the advantages of integration by expansion?

One advantage of integration by expansion is that it allows for the integration of more complex functions that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also provides a systematic approach to solving integrals and can save time compared to other methods.

5. What are the limitations of integration by expansion?

Integration by expansion can be tedious and time-consuming, especially for functions with many terms. It also requires a good understanding of Taylor and Maclaurin series, which may not be familiar to all mathematicians. Additionally, this method may not always provide an exact solution, and the resulting series may need to be truncated for practical purposes.