How Does Infinite Freedom Affect Quantum Field Theory?

In summary, while studying Thermal Quantum Field Theory, it has been noted by many authors that infinite degrees of freedom and volume play a significant role. One reference specifically points out that the equivalence between the Heisenberg and Schrödinger picture is no longer valid when dealing with infinite degrees of freedom. This is further explained by Dirac in his works, where he shows that the dynamics in the Heisenberg picture is more easily solvable compared to the Schrodinger picture due to the unbounded Hamiltonian.
wphysics
Currently, I am working on Thermal Quantum Field Theory.

In the introduction to that, many authors point out that infinitely many degrees of freedom and infinite volume are special.

In one reference that I am reading said "The famous equivalence between the Heisenberg and the Schro ̈dinger picture simply breaks down" when the degrees of freedom are infinite.

Could you explain these statements more concretely?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
wphysics said:
Currently, I am working on Thermal Quantum Field Theory.
In one reference that I am reading
In questions like this you should quote the specific reference. Have you looked at Umezawa's textbook "Thermofield Dynamics & Condensed States"?

said "The famous equivalence between the Heisenberg and the Schro ̈dinger picture simply breaks down" when the degrees of freedom are infinite.

Could you explain these statements more concretely?
Dirac explained the idea "concretely" in these references:

P.A.M. Dirac, "Quantum Electrodynamics with Dead Wood",
Phys. Rev, vol 139, no 3B, (1965), pB684.

and more extensively in his "Lectures on quantum field theory" given at Yeshiva, 1966. (Some university libraries have a copy of this small book.)

Dirac's explanation is "concrete" in the sense that he takes a specific interaction Hamiltonian, and shows that the dynamics is not sensibly solvable in the Schrodinger picture -- since the Hamiltonian is unbounded and even an infinitesimal time evolution causes a divergence.

However, in the Heisenberg picture, the dynamics is easily solvable as a differential equation, yielding analytic expressions for the time-dependent annihilation/creation operators. Dirac then notes that, "in this sense, the Heisenberg picture is better".

If you can't access the above references, I have written it up in some private notes, but I'd have to convert them from standard Latex to PF latex...

Related to How Does Infinite Freedom Affect Quantum Field Theory?

1. What does "infinite degrees of freedom" mean?

When discussing degrees of freedom in science, it refers to the number of independent variables that can affect a system. Infinite degrees of freedom means that there is an infinite number of possible independent variables that can impact the system being studied.

2. Can a system have an infinite number of degrees of freedom?

In theory, yes, a system can have an infinite number of degrees of freedom. This is often seen in complex systems such as the universe or the human brain, where there are countless variables that can affect the system.

3. How do scientists handle systems with infinite degrees of freedom?

Handling systems with infinite degrees of freedom can be challenging and often requires the use of mathematical models and simulations. Scientists also have to make assumptions and limitations in order to study and understand these complex systems.

4. What are some examples of systems with infinite degrees of freedom?

Some examples of systems with infinite degrees of freedom include the universe, weather patterns, fluid dynamics, and the human brain. These systems have numerous variables and factors that can impact their behavior and cannot be fully controlled or predicted.

5. How does understanding infinite degrees of freedom benefit science?

Understanding infinite degrees of freedom allows scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It also helps in the development of mathematical models and simulations, which can aid in studying and solving real-world problems related to these systems.