How Does Heat Transfer Through Welded Metal Bars Differ?

In summary, two bars, one steel and one copper, are connected end-to-end and insulated perfectly along their sides. The steel bar is maintained at 100 degrees C and the copper bar is maintained at 0 degrees C. Using the heat conduction equation, the temperature at the junction between the two bars is found to be 284.5K. However, there is a discrepancy in the answer as another method using the total area of the bar yields a temperature of 293.7K. Upon further examination, it is determined that the correct method is to use the cross-sectional area of the bars.
Pomico

Homework Statement

A steel bar 10cm long is welded end-to-end to a copper bar 20cm long. Both bars are insulated perfectly along their sides. Each bar has a radius of 2.0cm. The free end of the steel bar is maintained at 100 degrees C and the free end of the copper bar is maintained at 0 degrees C. Find the temperature at the junction between the two bars and the total rate of flow of heat.

k(steel) = 50.2 Wm[tex]^{-1}[/tex]K[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
k(copper) = 385.0 Wm[tex]^{-1}[/tex]K[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

H = kA(T1-T2)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted the given values into the above equation for copper and again for steel and set them equal to each other (with the temperature in Kelvin):

kA(T1-T2)/L (steel) = kA(T2-T1)/L (copper)

and I ended up with an answer of 284.5K

My tutor, however, ended up with an answer of 293.7K
I used the different surface areas of the steel and copper parts of the tube in each side of the equation whereas my tutor used the area of the full length of the bar (i.e. an area of 2pi*rL with L = 30cm.
Besides that our workings are the same.

I don't understand why the the total area of the bar should be used instead of the area of each respective material.
I hope that makes sense...

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pomico said:
(i.e. an area of 2pi*rL with L = 30cm.
That isn't the correct area. Surely [itex]A = \pi r^2 = 0.0004\pi[/itex].

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't an area?
2pi*rL in units is cm*cm = cm^2.

As the bars are cylindrical wouldn't your way give the volume when you introduce the length of the bar?

Aren't I looking for surface area as opposed to cross-sectional area?

Last edited:
Pomico said:
Are you sure it isn't an area?
2pi*rL in units is cm*cm = cm^2.

As the bars are cylindrical wouldn't your way give the volume when you introduce the length of the bar?

Aren't I looking for surface area as opposed to cross-sectional area?
Why are you looking for the surface area when the sides are insulating? Surely the heat conduction would occur through the cross-sectional area?

Ooh hang on, it is cross-sectional area isn't it!
So that would be why my tutor's method cancels out the areas =p

Sorry about that!

Yeah sorry, normally I'm ok at these. My exam's coming up and I think it's pre-exam nerves =/

Sorry again!

Pomico said:
Yeah sorry, normally I'm ok at these. My exam's coming up and I think it's pre-exam nerves =/

Sorry again!
Hey don't worry about it, you spotted the mistake so you know what your talking about. Listen if your revising, you don't need to be stressing, it those that don't revise that should be worried. Good luck in your exam :biggrin:

Related to How Does Heat Transfer Through Welded Metal Bars Differ?

1. How does heat flow through metal bars?

Heat flow through metal bars occurs through a process called conduction, where heat is transferred from one molecule to another through direct contact.

2. What factors affect heat flow through metal bars?

The main factors that affect heat flow through metal bars are the thermal conductivity of the metal, the temperature difference between the two ends of the bar, and the length and cross-sectional area of the bar.

3. How is heat flow through metal bars measured?

Heat flow through metal bars is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter, which measures the rate of heat transfer through the bar.

4. How does the thickness of a metal bar affect heat flow?

The thickness of a metal bar can affect heat flow in two ways. A thicker bar will have a higher thermal conductivity, meaning heat can flow through it more easily. However, a thicker bar also means there is more material for the heat to travel through, which can slow down the overall rate of heat flow.

5. Can heat flow through metal bars be controlled?

Yes, heat flow through metal bars can be controlled through various methods such as using insulation materials, adjusting the temperature difference, or altering the length and cross-sectional area of the bar.