In summary, Hawking radiation is a type of radiation that is produced when particles fall into a black hole. This radiation is governed by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and it is short-lived.
Jaami M.
I'm very new to the understanding of Hawking Radiation. I don't know much about this theory, but I do know that Hawking radiation works on a Quantum scale. I know that with black holes this theory proposes th idea that over time black hole lose mass because of "Spontaneous appearing positive and negative energy particles
Affect the black hole". Negative takes the mass away whil positive manages to escape the black hole resulting in the category of radiation (energy). But how does this all work? And how can particles appear from nothing? I thought "no matter can be created" nor destroyed.

Science news on Phys.org
Matter is routinely created and destroyed in particle accelerators.

Hello Jaami, welcome to PF :smile: !

I take it that like me you did some googling and it didn't help you. (not even http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/lectures/ADSEM/SS03_Schmidt.pdf p 16 ?) .
Because of your "And how can particles appear from nothing?" I expect you want some popular explanation, no scientificspeak.

It so happens that particles can appear from nothing, provided their appearance doesn't last all that long. Pretty short, in fact, given that the governing formula from quantum mechanics (google Heisenberg uncertainty principle) is ## \Delta E \Delta t \le \hbar / 2##. For ##\Delta E## you can read the energy of the particle concerned, and we don't consider it a real particle but a 'virtual' particle. A few other conditions apply regarding quantum numbers, which restricts this weird phenomenon to particles and antiparticles: they appear out of nowhere (the vacuum is apparently well populated) and annihilate each other almost immediately.

What follows now is my personal picture. I'm not an expert -- in spite of a well-earned PhD in elementary particle physics. Some of the wiser guys will hopefully put me right if I'm completely off track.

In the dangerous neighborhood of a black hole there exists a possibility that one of the two is on the wrong side of the event horizon and flops into the abyss. Then all of a sudden the other is no longer a virtual particle but very real. That's what this sheet 16 tries to bring across. There is a whole construction of thermodynamics and general relativity set up around this and there you need Hawking genius to come to this radiation result. No longer on a quantum scale either ! Hefty stuff because of the huge masses of the run-of-the-mill black holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Jaami M.

1. What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a phenomenon proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in which black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near their event horizon, causing them to slowly evaporate.

2. How does Hawking Radiation work?

According to Hawking's theory, virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed near the event horizon of a black hole. When this happens, one particle may fall into the black hole while the other escapes, carrying away energy and causing the black hole to lose mass over time.

3. What is the source of Hawking Radiation?

The source of Hawking Radiation is the energy of the black hole itself. As the black hole loses mass, it also loses energy, which is emitted in the form of radiation.

4. How does Hawking Radiation affect the lifespan of a black hole?

Hawking Radiation causes a black hole to lose mass and energy, which means it will eventually shrink and evaporate. The rate at which this happens depends on the size of the black hole, with smaller black holes evaporating faster than larger ones.

5. Can Hawking Radiation be observed?

Currently, Hawking Radiation has not been directly observed due to its extremely low energy and the fact that it is emitted in all directions. However, scientists are working on ways to detect this radiation, which could provide valuable insights into the nature of black holes.