What is the Limiting Mass at the Final Stages of Black Hole Evaporation?

dsaun777
As Hawking radiation does away with black holes in the eons of time it takes to evaporate, what is the limiting mass at the final stages of the black hole evaporation? Is it Planck mass? or some fractional mass of the initial BH?

Physics news on Phys.org
dsaun777 said:
As Hawking radiation does away with black holes in the eons of time it takes to evaporate, what is the limiting mass at the final stages of the black hole evaporation? Is it Planck mass? or some fractional mass of the initial BH?
We don't have a definite answer to this question because we don't have a theory of quantum gravity. Possible answers which have been proposed in the literature are:

(1) The hole evaporates completely; nothing is left behind.

(2) A remnant of something like the Planck mass is left behind.

(3) Something more exotic happens.

Likes Klystron, vanhees71 and dsaun777
PeterDonis said:
We don't have a definite answer to this question because we don't have a theory of quantum gravity. Possible answers which have been proposed in the literature are:

(1) The hole evaporates completely; nothing is left behind.

(2) A remnant of something like the Planck mass is left behind.

(3) Something more exotic happens.
TbhkB=hc3/GM8π. Temperature is the average of the kinetic energy of Hawking radiation. What are the limits of frequencies for the Hawking radiation? I hear there is a problem with trans-Planckian wavelengths when you trace back a "photon" to the horizon of the black hole. Has this issue been resolved where energy divergences happen near the horizon?

dsaun777 said:
Temperature is the average of the kinetic energy of Hawking radiation.
This is a heuristic belief currently, yes, but we have no microphysical model of how Hawking radiation is emitted to back it up, because, as I said, we don't have a theory of quantum gravity.

dsaun777 said:
What are the limits of frequencies for the Hawking radiation?
We don't know. That's one of the open questions we have yet to get a definite answer for.

dsaun777 said:
I hear there is a problem with trans-Planckian wavelengths when you trace back a "photon" to the horizon of the black hole.
"I hear" is not a valid reference. Do you have one?

Moderator's note: Thread moved to Beyond the Standard Model forum.

Likes Vanadium 50 and topsquark
PeterDonis said:
This is a heuristic belief currently, yes, but we have no microphysical model of how Hawking radiation is emitted to back it up, because, as I said, we don't have a theory of quantum gravity.We don't know. That's one of the open questions we have yet to get a definite answer for."I hear" is not a valid reference. Do you have one?
"Evading the Trans-Planckian problem..."
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1809.10412.pdf
Addresses the problem with tracing a hawking photon at future null infinity back to the event horizon that becomes gravitationally blue shifted to a degree that exceeds the energy of the known universe. They support Unruh's idea of having the photons originating outside the event horizon due to radiation not being able to exist because of the vacuum instabilities the event horizon poses.

dsaun777 said:
Addresses the problem
Yes, this is one speculative resolution. But it's speculative, as all proposals in this area are, because we have no evidence in this regime and won't get any any time soon.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, this is one speculative resolution. But it's speculative, as all proposals in this area are, because we have no evidence in this regime and won't get any any time soon.
Is all of theoretical physics at this point a race to come forward with a testable prediction that can confirm any "quantum gravitation" theory? Eric Weinstein may be onto something in his recent rants about physics. His arguments are a bit dramatic and even wrong in some instances though. To put his thoughts simply, he does not support the direction of physics and string theory because it lacks anything testable.

dsaun777 said:
Is all of theoretical physics at this point a race to come forward with a testable prediction that can confirm any "quantum gravitation" theory?
Not at all. There is plenty going on other than that. Also, we have no prospect of getting any test of quantum aspects of gravity any time soon; we would have to be able to probe the Planck scale regime and that is many orders of magnitude away from our experimental capability.

dsaun777 said:
he does not support the direction of physics and string theory because it lacks anything testable.
I share his misgivings about string theory, but there is a lot of work going on in physics other than string theory.