How Does Halving the Magnetic Field Affect Particle Displacement?

In summary, a particle with a charge experiences a resistance force in an area that is directly proportional to its velocity. When the particle moves 10 cm in this area, it stops. However, if there was a magnetic field present, the particle with the same initial velocity could only move 6 cm. If the magnetic field were two times weaker, the particle would move a distance that is proportional to the decrease in magnetic force. The motion of the particle can be described using Newton's 2nd law and the laws of motion, and the trajectory is similar to a bubble chamber track. The differential equations for the x and y components of the position vector can be used to find the acceleration of the particle in terms of its velocity, mass,
kaspis245

Homework Statement

A particle with a charge enters an area where it becomes affected by resistance force, which is directly proportional to its velocity. The particle moves 10 cm in that area and stops. If there was a magnetic field in that area the particle with the same initial velocity could move a total displacement of 6 cm. What distance could the particle move if the magnetic field would be two times weaker?

Homework Equations

Laws of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

##F_r## - the resistance force
##F_{rx}## - horizontal resistance force
##F_{ry}## - vertical resistance force
##F_m## - force caused by the magnetic field
##v## - initial speed

olimpas_7.jpg

The first drawing shows particle moving in an area without magnetic field and the second one with it.

When the particle is moving in an area with magnetic field it is affected by horizontal forces ##F_m##, ##F_{rx}## and one vertical force ##F_{ry}##.

Now, I think that the particle in both diagrams should have the same vertical accelerations, however due to the fact that the particle in magnetic field moves only 6 cm it appears otherwise.Why is that so? Why does the particle in magnetic field has a smaller vertical displacement? What additional forces cause this? I can't see how ##F_m## can affect this since it is only involved in horizontal motion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kaspis245 said:
Now, I think that the particle in both diagrams should have the same vertical accelerations, however due to the fact that the particle in magnetic field moves only 6 cm it appears otherwise.Why is that so? Why does the particle in magnetic field has a smaller vertical displacement? What additional forces cause this? I can't see how ##F_m## can affect this since it is only involved in horizontal motion.
Is the magnetic force in the x direction throughout the motion or is it in the x direction only at the beginning of the motion?

TSny said:
Is the magnetic force in the x direction throughout the motion or is it in the x direction only at the beginning of the motion?
The magnetic field is present throughout the motion.

But does the magnetic force always have the same direction throughout the motion?

TSny said:
But does the magnetic force always have the same direction throughout the motion?
No, I suppose it would not. At some point it would have a vertical component which would cause the difference in vertical accelerations.

kaspis245 said:
No, I suppose it would not. At some point it would have a vertical component which would cause the difference in vertical accelerations.
Right.

I need some help. How can I describe particle's motion in the magnetic field?

Particle's motion in the the area without magnetic field can be expressed like this:
##m\frac{dv}{dt}=-Kv## where K is some constant.
##\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{K}{m}v=-kv##
##t=-\frac{1}{k}lnv##
##v=e^{-tk}##

I assume that the magnetic field is uniform and perpendicular to the x-y plane. So, the trajectory of the particle is similar to a bubble chamber track as shown below.

This is a problem that you can solve by inspection of the differential equation for the motion. If ##\mathbf{r}## is the position vector of the particle, what is the differential equation for ##\mathbf{r}##. That is, using Newton's 2nd law can you find an expression for ##\ddot{\mathbf{r}}## in terms of ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}##, the mass, the damping constant, and the magnetic field?

EDIT: It might be best to write separate differential equations for the x and y components of ##\mathbf{r}## .
Also, I changed the figure below to correspond to the specific data of this problem.

Attachments

• Mag trajec 1.png
    Mag trajec 1.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Related to How Does Halving the Magnetic Field Affect Particle Displacement?

1. What is a particle in a magnetic field?

A particle in a magnetic field refers to a charged particle that is subjected to the influence of a magnetic field. This means that the particle will experience a force due to its interaction with the magnetic field.

2. How does a particle behave in a magnetic field?

A particle in a magnetic field follows a curved path due to the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. The direction of the curvature depends on the charge and velocity of the particle.

3. What is the equation for the force on a particle in a magnetic field?

The equation for the force on a particle in a magnetic field is F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and magnetic field vectors.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the motion of a particle?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct effect on the magnitude of the force exerted on the particle. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force and therefore a larger curvature in the particle's path.

5. Can a particle in a magnetic field change its kinetic energy?

Yes, a particle in a magnetic field can change its kinetic energy as it moves along its curved path. This is because the force exerted by the magnetic field can do work on the particle, either increasing or decreasing its kinetic energy depending on the direction of the force.