How Does Gravity Affect the Oscillation Period of a Spring?

In summary, the force of gravity affects the oscillation period of a spring by increasing the weight of the spring and causing it to stretch further, which in turn increases the restoring force of the spring. This increased force causes the spring to oscillate at a slower rate, resulting in a longer oscillation period. Additionally, gravity can also affect the motion of the object attached to the spring, changing its trajectory and altering the overall oscillation period. However, in the absence of external forces such as air resistance, the effect of gravity on the oscillation period is negligible.
kinetix

Homework Statement

"A certain spring with the mass of 10kg oscillates with a period of 10 seconds on the earth. What would be its period on a small moon, where the gravity is 1/16 as strong as on the earth?"

Homework Equations

I'm thinking I have to use the equation: T=1/2(pi)sqrt[L/g(1/16)]
but I am not sure as my professor will not answer a straight question of 'what formula should I use for this'.

The Attempt at a Solution

I ran into a problem here because the previous question asked almost the same thing but it was speaking of pendulums. I read somewhere that the mass of the spring is irrelevant in this problem but this is just confusing to me. I am only 2 weeks into this course about waves so I haven't had the time to adapt yet.
All help and suggestions are appreciated!
Thank You!
P. Ramos

Physics news on Phys.org
That formula for the period looks like the one for a pendulum, not a spring. But I think you have 1/2 where you should have 2.

You can find spring formulas at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html#c1
I see they give the formula for omega, which is 2(pi)f, and the frequency f is 1/period.
The spring constant k is a measure of how stiff the spring is.

The pendulum and the spring are quite different because gravity is the restoring force that pulls a pendulum back from the extremities of its oscillation. In the case of the spring, it is the spring itself that pulls its mass load back toward the equilibrium position.

I would suggest that you use the formula for the period of a simple harmonic oscillator: T=2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant. In this case, the mass of the spring is not relevant, but the mass of the object attached to the spring is. Therefore, the period on the small moon would be T=2π√(10/16k), where k is the spring constant on the small moon. This can be calculated by using the formula for the spring constant, k=mg/x, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity on the small moon, and x is the displacement of the spring when the object is attached. I hope this helps!

Related to How Does Gravity Affect the Oscillation Period of a Spring?

What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal or oscillatory motion.

What is a spring in harmonic motion?

A spring in harmonic motion is a physical system in which a spring is attached to a mass and is free to move back and forth. The motion of the mass is governed by Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the period of a spring in harmonic motion?

The period of a spring in harmonic motion is affected by three main factors: the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant (stiffness) of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or stiffer spring will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

How does the amplitude affect the motion of a spring in harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a spring in harmonic motion is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. A larger amplitude will result in a greater maximum speed and acceleration of the mass, leading to a more energetic and faster motion.

How is the energy conserved in a spring in harmonic motion?

In a spring in harmonic motion, the total energy (kinetic + potential) is conserved. As the mass oscillates back and forth, the energy is continuously converted between kinetic and potential energy, but the total amount remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.