How Does G/N Relate to Complex Numbers of Absolute Value 1?

In summary, we are proving that the group of real numbers under addition modulo the subgroup of integers is isomorphic to the group of complex numbers of absolute value 1 under multiplication. To prove this, we use the mapping f(x) = e^[2pi(ix)], which is a homomorphism, to show that the two groups are isomorphic.
fk378

Homework Statement

Let G be the group of real numbers under addition and let N be the subgroup of G consisting of all the integers. Prove that G/N is isomorphic to the group of all complex numbers of absolute value 1 under multiplication.

Hint: consider the mapping f: R-->C given by f(x)=e^[2pi(ix)]

The Attempt at a Solution

So this says that a subgroup of Z is normal in R.
G/N is the quotient group of left cosets of N in G.
And I want to prove that G/N is isomorphic to (a+bi)(c+di) <---not sure if this is what I want to prove...but if it is then...it equals ac+adi+bci-bd= +/- 1
Which implies
ac+adi+bci-bd=ac-bd=+/- 1

Am I thinking of this right so far?

I'm not sure how to use the hint.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The hint gives you a function from R to C. You want a function from R/N to some subset of C, however. Can you construct such a function from the given one? Can you prove it is an isomorphism?

The given function is cos2(pi)x+isin2(pi))x...I'm not sure how to construct a mapping for this...I'm pretty lost.

Do you notice anything special about f, such as say, if it's a homomorphism (between appropriate groups)..?

Between appropriate groups? But how is G/N defined in this problem...I don't understand.
I know e^(2pi)(ix) = cos2(pi)x+isin2(pi)x...

f is a homomorphism between G and the group of all complex numbers of absolute value 1 under multiplication.

What's its kernel?

The kernel is all the elements of the image of the mapping?

No. The kernel is the set of elements in G that get mapped to the identity.

What it means for a complex number to have absolute value 1, is: given $a+bi \in \C$, we say that $a+bi$ has absolute value $1$ if $a^2+b^2 =1$.

We can see that the function in your hint, $e^{2\pi (ix)} = \cos{2 \pi x} + i\sin{2 \pi x}$. This function is well-defined, as it maps elements of $G/N$ to elements of $\C^*$ ($\C^*$ is the group of complex numbers of absolute value 1) with an absolute value of $1$ because $\cos^2{x}+\sin^2{x} =1$ for all $x$

Now:

To show $\phi$ is a homomorphism, let $x,y \in G/N$, and
\begin{align*}
\phi(x+y) &= e^{2 \pi [i(x+y)]}\\
&= e^{2 \pi(ix) + 2 \pi(iy)}\\
&=e^{2 \pi(ix)}e^{2 \pi(iy)}\\
&=\phi(x)\phi(y)
\end{align*} and so, we see $\phi$ is a homomorphism.

To show something that is injective or surjective is fairly straightforward so I'll leave that to you.

Related to How Does G/N Relate to Complex Numbers of Absolute Value 1?

What is isomorphism of quotient group?

Isomorphism of quotient group is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two quotient groups. It is a type of group homomorphism that preserves the structure and operations of the groups.

How do you determine if two quotient groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two quotient groups are isomorphic, you need to find a bijective group homomorphism between the two groups. This means that the mapping must be both one-to-one and onto, and must preserve the group structure and operations.

What is the significance of isomorphism of quotient group?

Isomorphism of quotient group is important because it allows us to study and understand groups in a more efficient way. By finding isomorphic groups, we can generalize their properties and apply them to other groups as well.

What is the difference between isomorphism and automorphism of quotient group?

Isomorphism of quotient group describes the relationship between two different groups, while automorphism of quotient group describes the relationship between a group and itself. An automorphism is a bijective mapping of a group onto itself that preserves the group structure and operations.

Can a group be isomorphic to its quotient group?

Yes, a group can be isomorphic to its quotient group. This is known as the trivial case, where the group and its quotient group have the same structure and operations. In this case, the bijective mapping is simply the identity mapping.