How Does Frequency Affect the Resistivity of Silver as a Plasma?

• Thread starter alisonb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistivity
In summary, the author has found the resistivity of silver to be dependent on frequency. They have calculated it to be 10 times higher at a frequency of 10 hertz than it is at a frequency of 1 hertz. The author is unsure how to solve for the phase difference between current and voltage at this frequency.
alisonb

Homework Statement

Considering silver as a plasma, I have taken the equation of motion for electrons in an electric field and found the resistivity to be

[tex]\sigma_{N}=\frac{Ne^{2}}{m_{e}(i\omega + \tau^{-1})}[/tex]

The first part of the questions asks me to calculate the scattering time [tex]\tau[/tex] at low frequencies. [tex]\sigma_{N}[/tex] and [tex]N[/tex] are provided. I did this by ignoring the imaginary part since the frequencies are small, and rearanging for [tex]\tau[/tex].

The next part, and the final part are what i am having trouble with.

NEXT PART

It asks at what frequency would i expect the resistivity to increase by a factor of 10.

Now, surely this should still be considered a low frequency, and if so the imaginary term vanishes in the conductivity equation above. However if this is considerd to now be a significant frequency, how would i solve the equation to obtain [tex]\omega[/tex], i know i would put in [tex]10\sigma_{N}[/tex] but how do i deal with the imaginary part?

FINAL PART

I am asked to comment on the phase difference between the current and the voltage along a silver wire at this frequency. Dont know where to start with this one...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of well, are you sure what you've calculated is resistivity? Because [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the usual symbol for conductivity, whereas resistivity is [tex]\rho = 1/\sigma[/tex]...

Anyway, instead of neglecting the imaginary term in the denominator entirely, you could write the resistivity in polar form, then figure out what frequency makes the magnitude of the resistivity increase by a factor of 10. Writing it in polar form would help you with the last part too ;-)

Given the following data on copper, how do i calculate the resistivity?

Relaxation time: 2.50e10-14s
Density: 8940Kgm-3
molar mass: 63.5g

is there an equation for it.

Related to How Does Frequency Affect the Resistivity of Silver as a Plasma?

1. How do I calculate resistivity?

The resistivity equation is: ρ = R x A / L, where ρ is the resistivity in ohm-meters, R is the resistance in ohms, A is the cross-sectional area in square meters, and L is the length in meters.

2. What is the unit of resistivity?

The unit of resistivity is ohm-meters (Ωm).

3. How is resistivity related to conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inversely related. The higher the resistivity, the lower the conductivity, and vice versa. The equation for conductivity is σ = 1/ρ, where σ is the conductivity in siemens per meter (S/m).

4. What factors affect resistivity?

The factors that affect resistivity include the material's temperature, composition, and impurities, as well as the shape and size of the object.

5. Does resistivity change with temperature?

Yes, resistivity is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistivity also increases. However, different materials have different temperature coefficients of resistivity, which can affect the rate of change.