How Does the Time Period Change with Orbit Radius in Satellite Motion?

In summary, the time period of a satellite in the orbit of radius 4r is 8 times the time period of a satellite in the orbit of radius r.
Deebu R

Homework Statement

If the time period of a satellite in the orbit of radius r around a planet is T, then the time period of a satellite in the orbit of radius 4r is T'= ?

2. The attempt at a solution

To be honest I have no idea how to solve this. First I thought Keplers third law may be the solution but even if it is the solution I have no idea how to apply it to solve this question.
Thank you for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deebu R said:
To be honest I have no idea how to solve this. First I thought Keplers third law may be the solution but even if it is the solution I have no idea how to apply it to solve this question.
the time period must be time taken to complete one rotation-
so first relate the time period to the radius of the orbit
ask what is the path covered in time T- length of path divided by speed will give time T.

Deebu R said:

Homework Statement

If the time period of a satellite in the orbit of radius r around a planet is T, then the time period of a satellite in the orbit of radius 4r is T'= ?

Hi Deebu, :welcome:

Kepler 3 is indeed, but we are going to 'discover' it ourselves. You may assume the orbits are circular (it says r and 4r in the problem statement).
What keeps the thing in this circular orbit ? -- You have an expression for that
How much of that is needed for an orbit of radius r -- you have an experssion for that too, I hope ? (See why the template is so useful? Don't throw away parts of it !)

(Note: All 'calculations' are with symbols -- that's what keeps it simple and elegant and no larger or more complicated than necessary :smile:)

Is it staying in the path because angular momentum and velocity is a constent?
Should I be looking for orbital velocity?

I don't see the relationship between my question and your post ?
My answer to your new questions:
a) no. angular momentum is radius x momentum. There is no question of consistency or inconsistency. Or do you mean something else ?
b) orbital velocity does come into the relevant equations, yes.

BvU said:
I don't see the relationship between my question and your post ?
My answer to your new questions:
a) no. angular momentum is radius x momentum. There is no question of consistency or inconsistency. Or do you mean something else ?
b) orbital velocity does come into the relevant equations, yes.
?

I don't understand.Sorry.

Deebu R said:

Homework Statement

Deebu R said:

In order to solve any problem, you must understand what is given, what is asked and develop a path, in order to reach a solution.
Now, although obvious,I'd ask why did you think that Kepler's third law may be the solution, because I see some misunderstanding there. If you answer this, you'll see immediately the sketch of the solution. What you have to do then, is throw in what is given into this sketch and walk the path to the solution. As a second piece of advice, physical laws in the context of problems are not a magic wand. You have to apply them.

Since you mentioned Kepler's 3rd law, why don't you start by writing it down twice? Once adapted for the orbit at r and once for the orbit at 4r. Do that first and we'll continue from there.

Likes Deebu R
kuruman said:
Since you mentioned Kepler's 3rd law, why don't you start by writing it down twice? Once adapted for the orbit at r and once for the orbit at 4r. Do that first and we'll continue from there.
Ah! I get it

T^2 directly preportional R^3
T^2 directly preportional to (4R)^3

T = root(64) = 8. Right?

Almost, but not quite right. When you write T = 8, you say that the new period (actually it should be T' not T because symbol T is reserved for the initial period) is 8. The number 8 is correct, but 8 what? You can't have a period on one side of the equation and a pure number on the other. Also, it is a good habit to write equations explicitly in terms of symbols. You say "directly proportional", but you assume that the proportionality constant is the same in the two orbits. Is it really? Here it is, but in other situations it may not be and you need its symbolic representation to see what is going on.

Last edited:
Likes BvU

Related to How Does the Time Period Change with Orbit Radius in Satellite Motion?

1. What is the time period of a satellite?

The time period of a satellite refers to the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around its parent body. This is measured in seconds, minutes, hours, or days depending on the satellite's speed and distance from its parent body.

2. How is the time period of a satellite calculated?

The time period of a satellite can be calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This law can be applied to satellites orbiting other bodies as well.

3. Does the time period of a satellite change over time?

Yes, the time period of a satellite can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, atmospheric drag, and changes in the satellite's orbit. However, for satellites in stable orbits, the changes are usually minimal.

4. How does the time period of a satellite affect its speed?

The time period of a satellite and its speed are inversely proportional. This means that the longer the time period, the slower the satellite's speed and vice versa. This is because the satellite's speed is determined by its distance from its parent body and the strength of the gravitational pull.

5. Can the time period of a satellite be altered by humans?

Yes, the time period of a satellite can be altered by humans through various methods such as thruster burns, gravitational assists, and orbital adjustments. This is often done to maintain the satellite's desired orbit or to extend its lifespan.