How Does Firing Cannon Balls Affect the Position of a Railroad Car?

In summary, the cannon can fire to the right and the car can recoil to the left. After all the cannon balls have been fired, the car can have moved the greatest distance (41 m) and the speed (xcm) is the greatest when the cannon balls are in the rightmost position.
hangten1039
A 500-kg cannon and a supply of 59 cannon balls, each with a mass of 19.0 kg, are inside a sealed railroad car with a mass of 50000 kg and a length of 41 m. The cannon fires to the right; the car recoils to the left. The cannon balls remain in the car after hitting the wall. After all the cannon balls have been fired, what is the greatest distance the car can have moved from its original position?What is the speed of the car after all the cannon balls have come to rest on the right side?

xcm= (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1+m2)

I tried to solve for the left part of the equation and then the right but I don't know how to set it up, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you measure the center of mass of the railroad car and its contents from the left side of the car, what's the most it can change?

If you measure the center of mass of the railroad car and its contents with respect to the tracks, how much does it change?

i set up the equations as (5000(x1) + 1121(41)) = xcm but i don't know what to use for the x's and also what to use for the next equation to find the difference between the two

i mean 1621 instead of 1121

hangten1039 said:
i set up the equations as (5000(x1) + 1121(41)) = xcm but i don't know what to use for the x's and also what to use for the next equation to find the difference between the two
Measure everything from the left edge of the car. Assume the car is uniform (although it doesn't matter). Assume the cannon is on the left side of the car. The cannon balls move from the left side to the right side. Compute the center of mass for each case and compare. (Don't forget to divide by the total mass.)

so xcm= total mass of everything + the right side of the car divided by the total mass

xcm= 2121kg (x1) + 19kg (41m) / 2121 + 19

and then continue this for each time a cannon ball is fired

I am still confused I don't comprehend how this equation works

hangten1039 said:
so xcm= total mass of everything + the right side of the car divided by the total mass

xcm = (xcar*mcar + xballs*mballs + xcannon*mcannon)/mtotal

ok i got that, but still I have a problem figuring out what x's to use for each case

I would say that the movement of the cannon balls would be 41 m but we don't know that for the car or the cannon

hangten1039 said:
ok i got that, but still I have a problem figuring out what x's to use for each case

I would say that the movement of the cannon balls would be 41 m but we don't know that for the car or the cannon
The cannon balls are the only things that move, so it really doesn't matter what you put for the others. (But I gave you some suggestions in post #5.) All you really care about is how the COM changes when the balls move.

well i set up the equation (5500 (x1) + 0) /6621 for the left side when the cannon balls haven't not moved and for the right i set up the equation 5500(x1) +1121(41) / 6621 but then I don't have x1 and also when i figuring that out I don't come up with the right answer

hangten1039 said:
well i set up the equation (5500 (x1) + 0) /6621 for the left side when the cannon balls haven't not moved and for the right i set up the equation 5500(x1) +1121(41) / 6621 but then I don't have x1 and also when i figuring that out I don't come up with the right answer
You don't need x1 to find how the center of mass changes. What did you get when you subtracted those two? (You'll see that the terms with x1 cancel out.)

I got 6.942 m but that is not correct

hangten1039 said:
I got 6.942 m but that is not correct
Oops. It looks like you have the mass of the car (and thus the total mass) incorrect:
hangten1039 said:
A 500-kg cannon and a supply of 59 cannon balls, each with a mass of 19.0 kg, are inside a sealed railroad car with a mass of 50000 kg
Is the mass 50 000 kg or 5 000 kg?

Thanks so much!

So what did you end up doing that worked? I have the same problem and I just can't get it.

Related to How Does Firing Cannon Balls Affect the Position of a Railroad Car?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. It is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated, and is often referred to as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual masses. This involves multiplying the position of each mass by its respective mass, adding all of these values together, and then dividing by the total mass of the system.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is significant because it is the point around which an object will rotate if subjected to a torque, and it also affects the stability and balance of an object. It is also a useful concept in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior.

4. How does distance affect the center of mass?

The distance between the individual masses in a system can affect the position of the center of mass. If the masses are evenly distributed, the center of mass will be in the middle. However, if the masses are more spread out, the center of mass will be closer to the larger masses.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This can occur when the masses in a system are unevenly distributed, causing the center of mass to be located outside of the physical boundaries of the object. However, the center of mass will always be located somewhere within the system.