How Does Throwing a Medicine Ball Affect Beam Displacement?

In summary, the problem involves a uniform beam with two people and a medicine ball on either end. The goal is to find the new x-position of the person on the left after the ball is thrown to them. Using the center of mass equation, the solution is found to be 1.53 meters but the online system accepts 1.434 meters as the correct answer.
tgitatif
1. Homework Statement
A person with mass m1 = 61 kg stands at the left end of a uniform beam with mass m2 = 104 kg and a length L = 2.7 m. Another person with mass m3 = 68 kg stands on the far right end of the beam and holds a medicine ball with mass m4 = 8 kg (assume that the medicine ball is at the far right end of the beam as well). Let the origin of our coordinate system be the left end of the original position of the beam as shown in the drawing. Assume there is no friction between the beam and floor.

3)After the ball is thrown to the person on the left, what is the new x-position of the person at the left end of the beam? (How far did the beam move when the ball was throw from person to person?)

2. Homework Equations
Center of mass equation (can't figure out how to type it on here)

3. Attempt at a solution
I kept the original center of mass of 1.53 since it doesn't move and created an equation to solve for the new position.

1.53 = [itex]\frac{(61+8) (0-x) + 104 (1.35-x) + 68 (2.7-x)}{241}[/itex]

And I get x = .186m, which is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would check your center of mass value to start -- I got 1.434.

The system accepted 1.53 as the answer. I could try 1.434 though.

Wow. I don't know why it accepted something so far off for the first question. Using 1.43 worked, thanks.

No problem -- those darn online things.

Related to How Does Throwing a Medicine Ball Affect Beam Displacement?

1. What is the center of mass on a beam?

The center of mass on a beam is the point where the entire mass of the beam can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual particles that make up the beam.

2. How is the center of mass calculated on a beam?

The center of mass on a beam can be calculated by dividing the total mass of the beam by the total length of the beam. This gives the center of mass position along the beam's length.

3. Why is the center of mass important on a beam?

The center of mass on a beam is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of the beam. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the beam's response to external forces and moments.

4. How does the center of mass change when the mass distribution on a beam is uneven?

If the mass distribution on a beam is uneven, the center of mass will shift towards the heavier side. This means that the center of mass will no longer be at the geometric center of the beam, but closer to the heavier end.

5. Can the center of mass on a beam be outside the physical boundaries of the beam?

Yes, the center of mass on a beam can be outside the physical boundaries of the beam. This can happen if the mass distribution is uneven or if there are external forces acting on the beam. In such cases, the center of mass may lie beyond the length of the beam.