How does eddy current affect two magnets spinning at 2000 RPM?

In summary, the conversation is about the potential effects of eddy currents on two magnets, one of which is fixed and the other is spinning on a crank at 2000 RPM. The poster has researched eddy currents but still does not fully understand their impact on their experiment and is seeking a simple explanation from someone else. Another participant suggests measuring the generated voltage and estimating the resistance to get a rough idea of the effect.
gareth01422
Hi guys

I may have posted in the wrong section.

If I have 2 magnets pushing away from each other (one is fixed) the other is on a crank. And the crank is spinning around 2000 RPM (33.33 crank rotations every second) how will eddy current effect the 2 magnets?

I have Wikied "eddy current" and read the page but still don't understand how this would effect my mind experiment.

Can someone explain it to me in simple terms?

Gareth

Physics news on Phys.org
gareth01422 said:
If I have 2 magnets pushing away from each other (one is fixed) the other is on a crank. And the crank is spinning around 2000 RPM (33.33 crank rotations every second) how will eddy current effect the 2 magnets?
Gareth
Do you mean the eddy currents running in the magnetic materials? If so then I don’t think they will be big because the electrical resistivity is quite high for those.
Having said that you’ve got quite a speed. To work out the voltage each time the magnet cycles you could perhaps wind a search coil with say 10 windings or more and look on an ac meter what the generated voltage is. (divide again by 10 or more).
Then you have to estimate the resistance of where ever the currents are running. If they are running in a copper plate then they will be high. As usual I=U/R. This will give you a rough idea.

Hello Gareth,

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. In the case of your mind experiment, the spinning magnet on the crank is creating a changing magnetic field around it as it rotates at 2000 RPM. This changing magnetic field will induce eddy currents in the fixed magnet, causing it to also experience a force that pushes it away from the spinning magnet.

The strength and direction of the eddy current will depend on the material and shape of the fixed magnet, as well as the speed and direction of the spinning magnet. The faster the spinning magnet, the stronger the eddy currents will be and the greater the force pushing the fixed magnet away. This can also be affected by the distance between the two magnets and any other external factors that may influence the magnetic field.

In simple terms, the eddy currents created by the spinning magnet will cause the fixed magnet to experience a force that pushes it away. This is due to the interaction between the changing magnetic field and the fixed magnet's conductive material. I hope this helps to clarify the concept of eddy currents and how they can affect two magnets spinning at 2000 RPM.

Related to How does eddy current affect two magnets spinning at 2000 RPM?

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced within conductive materials when they are exposed to changing magnetic fields. These currents are caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the motion of the conductive material.

2. How are eddy currents related to magnets?

Eddy currents are a result of the interaction between a changing magnetic field and a conductive material. This means that magnets, which produce magnetic fields, can induce eddy currents in nearby conductive materials.

3. What are some applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have a variety of practical applications, including metal detection in industrial settings, magnetic braking in trains, and non-destructive testing of materials for flaws or defects.

4. How can eddy currents be controlled or minimized?

Eddy currents can be controlled or minimized through the use of materials with low electrical conductivity, such as insulators, or by shaping conductive materials to reduce the amount of circular motion induced by the magnetic field.

5. What are the benefits of using eddy currents in technology?

Eddy currents have several benefits in technology, including their ability to provide non-invasive testing of materials without damaging them, their use in efficient energy conversion and braking systems, and their ability to detect small changes in a system's magnetic field.