How Does Earth's Orbit Affect Light Travel Time?

In summary, Ole Roemer discovered that the maximum delay in the appearance of Io from one orbit to the next was 14 seconds. By calculating the distance light travels in 14 seconds, it was found to be 4.2 x 10^9 meters. Using this distance and the given time period of 42.5 hours, the speed of Earth was calculated to be 27451 m/s. To confirm this answer, the orbital motion formula was used with the given orbital radius and period of one year, resulting in a comparable answer to (B).
ahrog

Homework Statement

Ole Roemer found that the maximum increased delay in the appearance of Io (a moon of Jupiter, I believe) from one orbit to the next was 14 seconds.
a) How far does light travel in 14 seconds?
b) Each orbit of Io is 42.5 h. Earth traveled the distance calculated above in 42.5 h. Find the speed of Earth in km/s.
c) See if your answer for part b is reasonable. Calculate Earth's speed in orbit using the orbital radius, 1.5 x 10^8 km and the period, one year.

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got it to be 4.2 x 10^9 m and I'm pretty confident about that answer, so that isn't where I need help.
b) If Earth traveled the same distance as in a) in 42.5 h, I'm assuming I just go V=d/t where the answer is 27451 m/s...
c) For this, I just can't think of the steps. What formula for orbital motion do I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers in (A) and (B) look right to me.

C) I think they want you to assume the Earth is moving along a perfectly circular orbit around the sun (its really slightly elliptical, but I think you can ignore that for this question). Using the given radius (distance from Earth to sun), you can calculate the circumference of that circle (orbit). This is the total distance the Earth travels over the given period of a year. You'll need to convert year into its equivalent amount of seconds.

Now you can use: v = d / t

Hint: watch your units

I got an answer that is comparable to the answer in (B) so hopefully that means its right heh.

Hope that helps :)

a) Your calculation for the distance light travels in 14 seconds is correct. It is important to note that this value is an approximation and can vary slightly depending on the speed of light at the time of measurement.

b) To calculate the speed of Earth, we can use the formula v = d/t. Since we know the distance traveled in 42.5 hours (4.2 x 10^9 m) and the time it took (42.5 h), we can plug these values in to get v = (4.2 x 10^9 m)/(42.5 h) = 9.88 x 10^7 m/s. To convert this to km/s, we divide by 1000, giving us a final answer of 98.8 km/s.

c) To calculate Earth's speed in orbit using the given orbital radius and period, we can use the formula v = 2πr/T, where r is the orbital radius and T is the period. Plugging in the values, we get v = 2π(1.5 x 10^8 km)/(1 year) = 2.98 x 10^4 km/s. This is a much larger value than the one calculated in part b, which is expected since the orbital speed of Earth is much faster than its speed of rotation. This confirms that our answer in part b is reasonable.

Related to How Does Earth's Orbit Affect Light Travel Time?

1. What is the orbit of Earth?

The orbit of Earth is the path that our planet takes as it revolves around the Sun. It is an elliptical shape, meaning it is slightly oval-shaped, and it takes approximately 365.24 days for Earth to complete one full orbit around the Sun.

2. How does the orbit of Earth affect seasons?

The tilt of Earth's axis is what causes the change in seasons, not the orbit. However, the orbit does play a role in the length of seasons. When Earth is tilted towards the Sun during its orbit, it receives more direct sunlight and experiences summer in that hemisphere. When it is tilted away from the Sun, it receives less direct sunlight and experiences winter.

3. What is the speed of Earth's orbit?

The average speed of Earth's orbit is about 67,000 miles per hour, or 108,000 kilometers per hour. This speed varies slightly throughout the year due to Earth's elliptical orbit, with the fastest speed occurring when Earth is closest to the Sun (perihelion) and the slowest speed occurring when it is farthest from the Sun (aphelion).

4. How does the orbit of Earth affect the length of a day?

The orbit of Earth has no direct effect on the length of a day. Earth's rotation on its axis is what determines the length of a day. However, the orbit does have an indirect effect on the length of a day due to the tilt of Earth's axis. As Earth orbits around the Sun, the tilt causes the length of daylight to vary, leading to longer or shorter days depending on the season.

5. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as electromagnetic radiation, which is a type of energy that does not require a medium (such as air or water) to travel. It moves in a straight line at a constant speed of about 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second). However, it can be affected by gravitational forces, such as those of the Sun, which can bend its path.