How Does Doubling Time Affect Specific Heat Capacity in Thermal Physics?

In summary: I think that you would need to experiment to see what would happen.In summary, doubling the time would double the energy used to find the specific heat capacity.
Doubell
Homework Statement [/b]

E= 13600J, MAss of liquid = 0.1 kg, Temperature change = 25K
2. Homework Equations [/b]

Pt/m*delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

what effect would doubling the time have on the specific heat capacity of the liquid? what i did was to say if the time is doubled then the energy is doubled since the current * voltage = power and multiplying this by time = energy so if the time is doubled the energy is doubled. and if everything remains contant such as the temperature change and the mass. then a value for energy twice the initial value would be divided by the same value of mass and delta T. therefore the specific heat capacity would be doubled. is this justified? i would love to see a resolve to the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't actually stated the problem, the scenario, or a proper equation (which, generally speaking, should involve an equals sign).

Doubell said:
Homework Statement [/b]

E= 13600J, MAss of liquid = 0.1 kg, Temperature change = 25K
2. Homework Equations [/b]

Pt/m*delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

what effect would doubling the time have on the specific heat capacity of the liquid? what i did was to say if the time is doubled then the energy is doubled since the current * voltage = power and multiplying this by time = energy so if the time is doubled the energy is doubled. and if everything remains contant such as the temperature change and the mass. then a value for energy twice the initial value would be divided by the same value of mass and delta T. therefore the specific heat capacity would be doubled. is this justified? i would love to see a resolve to the problem.

The problem is based on the electrical method for finding specific heat capacity. and using the electrical method E=IVt = Pt. for finding specific heat capacity E = m * c * (T2-T1). therefore IVt = m*c*(T2-T1). hence c results to Ivt/m*(t2-t1). the solution i used as described above utilises this equation. and as i said if the time is doubled then E= IV(2t). this results in the value for energy becoming 2E. divivding 2E/m*(T2-T1) results in c being twice as large which supports my hypothesis that doubling the time results in the specific heat capacity being twice as large. just want to see if anyone agrees or disagree and hopefully show me another solution.

Why would you assume that (T2 - T1) remains the same? Wouldn't you expect the sample to get hotter if more heat is infused?

well the question just asked what would happen to the specific heat capacity if the time was doubled. It didnt mention a temperature change so i had to assume temperatue change was kept constant.

Doubell said:
well the question just asked what would happen to the specific heat capacity if the time was doubled. It didnt mention a temperature change so i had to assume temperatue change was kept constant.

I don't think that you can make that assumption. Heat capacities of materials don't change with time in general.

Related to How Does Doubling Time Affect Specific Heat Capacity in Thermal Physics?

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, such as work and temperature. It involves the study of the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, specifically focusing on how temperature and heat affect the properties of materials.

2. How do you calculate thermal energy?

Thermal energy can be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is thermal energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Heat refers to the transfer of energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. In other words, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that energy.

4. Why is thermal equilibrium important?

Thermal equilibrium is important because it is the state in which two objects have the same temperature and there is no net heat transfer between them. This is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of systems and understand how heat moves from one object to another. Thermal equilibrium is also necessary for many everyday processes, such as cooking and maintaining a comfortable room temperature.

5. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In other words, the total energy of a closed system remains constant. This law is important in thermal physics because it allows us to understand and quantify the transfer and conversion of thermal energy in various systems.