How Does Differential Equations Model Drug Distribution in the Bloodstream?

• Thread starter badtwistoffate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, fluid containing 5mg/cm^3 of drug enters the bloodstream at a rate of 100cm^3/hr. The drug is absorbed by body tissue or leaves the bloodstream at a rate proportional to the amount present, with a rate constant of 0.4(hr)^-1. Assuming uniform distribution of the drug, the differential equation for the amount of drug present at time t is dD/dt= 500-D/0.4 or dD/dt= rate in - rate out. Separation of variables or solving as a linear differential equation with constant coefficients can both be used to find the solution.
badtwistoffate
fluid with 5mg/cm^3 of drug enters bloodsteam at 100cm^3/hr, drug is absorbed by body tissue or otherwise leaves the bloodstream at a rate proportional to the amount present with a rate constant of .4(hr)^-1.

so assuming the drug is always uniformly distrbuted throughout the bloodstream, the differential equation for the amount of the drug that is present at time t is:

What i have done is:
let D(T)=amnt of drug absorbned by the body, at time t (hrs), in mg

so i got dD/dt= rate in - rate out

i have the rate in=100(5) mg/cm^3 or 500 mg/cm^3
and rate out= D(t)/.4

so my equation is dD/dt= 500-D/.4 then i can just you separation of varibles...

what do you all think

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, separation of variables will work. You might also note that that is a "linear differential equation with constant coefficients". Either method will work.

Related to How Does Differential Equations Model Drug Distribution in the Bloodstream?

1. What is mixing involving diffy q?

Mixing involving diffy q is a mathematical concept that deals with the mixing of substances or particles in a fluid. It is based on differential equations (diffy q) that describe the rate of change of the concentration of a substance in a fluid over time.

2. How is mixing involving diffy q used in scientific research?

Mixing involving diffy q is used in various fields of scientific research, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It helps to understand and model the behavior of substances in a fluid, which is crucial for studying phenomena such as chemical reactions, diffusion, and fluid flow.

3. What are some real-world applications of mixing involving diffy q?

Mixing involving diffy q has numerous practical applications, including drug delivery systems, wastewater treatment, combustion processes, and weather forecasting. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage production, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.

4. Can mixing involving diffy q be solved analytically?

In most cases, mixing involving diffy q cannot be solved analytically (using mathematical formulas). Instead, numerical methods and computer simulations are used to approximate the behavior of the system. However, for simple systems, analytical solutions may be possible.

5. Is mixing involving diffy q a linear or nonlinear process?

Mixing involving diffy q can be either linear or nonlinear, depending on the specific system and its parameters. In linear systems, the rate of change of concentration is directly proportional to the concentration itself. In nonlinear systems, the relationship between the rate of change and concentration is more complex.