How Does Current Affect the Magnetic Force Between Two Wires?

In summary, the problem involves two straight wires suspended from the ceiling by strings, and an angle of 12° between the strings when identical currents flow in opposite directions. The approach involves using the equations F=LIBsin(theta) and B=μI/2πR to find the current, with some adjustments to ensure accuracy.
skye204

Homework Statement

Two straight wire are suspended from the ceiling by strings length of 0.75m.
each wire has a mass of 45g and a length of 1m
When identical current flows in opposite directions, the angle between the string is 12°.

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
B=μI/2πR
F=LIBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the looks of it, I assumed that this was an equilibrium question meaning that the force of (BIL) is the same on both wires, working in opposite directions to create an angle of 12°.
I also assumed that the force of gravity (.441) is equal to the Y component of the string, so then i used trig to solve for the force of the X component which i found to be .0464.

The force of the X component is the same force as the (BIL) and in order for the forces to be the same, the magnetic field and current has to be the same.

so then i combined B=μI/2πR with F=LIBsin(theta) in order to cancel out the magnetic Field since it did not matter.

I got F= LμI2/2πR

I figured out the current to be 131.9

I would attach a picture of my work but i don't have 10 post..
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/photo20120607121104pm.jpg/

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your approach to this problem seems to be on the right track. However, I do have a few suggestions for improvement.

First, when using trigonometry to solve for the X-component of the force, make sure you are using the correct angle. In this case, the angle of 12° is the angle between the strings, not the angle between the force and the string. To find the angle between the force and the string, you can use the fact that the force and the string form a right triangle, and the angle between them is the complementary angle to the angle between the strings.

Secondly, when combining the equations F=LIBsin(theta) and B=μI/2πR, make sure you are using the correct value for the length of the wire. In this case, the length of the wire is given as 1m, not 0.75m. Also, you can use the value of the X-component of the force that you found earlier to solve for the current, instead of solving for the force again.

Finally, when solving for the current, make sure you are using the correct units. The equation B=μI/2πR should give you a value in Tesla (T), so make sure to convert the units of the permeability constant (μ) accordingly.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is sound. Just make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Does Current Affect the Magnetic Force Between Two Wires?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be detected. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, or by the alignment of magnetic materials, such as iron. They can also be induced by changing electric fields.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and a magnetic force?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that surrounds a magnet or electric current, while a magnetic force is the result of a magnetic field acting on a charged particle. In other words, a magnetic field causes a magnetic force to be exerted on a moving charged particle.

4. How do magnetic fields interact with each other?

Magnetic fields can either attract or repel each other, depending on their relative orientations. Like poles (North and North or South and South) will repel each other, while opposite poles (North and South) will attract each other.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields and forces?

Magnetic fields and forces are used in a variety of everyday technologies, such as electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and credit card readers. They are also essential for compasses and navigation systems, as well as in particle accelerators for scientific research.