How Does Converting eV to Joules Work?

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ev
In summary, the eV is defined as the energy gained by an object with a charge equal to one fundamental charge falling through a potential difference of one volt. This can be converted to joules using the conversion factor of 1 eV = 1.602 x 10-19J. The Joule is defined as the energy gained by one coulomb of charge accelerated through one volt.
Peter G.
Hi,

I know that the definition of eV is the energy gained by one electron accelerated through one volt: (E = Vq)

And I therefore believe we can define the Joule as the energy gained by one coulomb of charge accelerated through one volt.

To convert eV to joules, all we would have to do is convert the charge of an electron to coulomb?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I know that the definition of eV is the energy gained by one electron accelerated through one volt: (E = Vq)

And I therefore believe we can define the Joule as the energy gained by one coulomb of charge accelerated through one volt.

To convert eV to joules, all we would have to do is convert the charge of an electron to coulomb?

Thanks,
Peter G.

The eV is defined to be the energy gained by an object with a charge equal to one fundamental charge (which happens to be the charge on an electron or proton) falling through a potential difference of one volt. The joule has its own independent definition.

One eV is thus e- x 1V = (1.602 x 10-19C) x (1 J/C) = 1.602 x 10-19J

This then is your conversion factor for eV to joules.

'And I therefore believe we can define the Joule as the energy gained by one coulomb of charge accelerated through one volt.'
The relationship you have identified here is absolutely correct but the statement is used to define what is meant by 1VOLT rather than what is meant by 1 JOULE
1 VOLT = 1 JOULE per COULOMB

Related to How Does Converting eV to Joules Work?

1. What is the conversion factor for eV to J?

The conversion factor for eV (electron volts) to J (joules) is 1 eV = 1.602176634×10^-19 J. This means that to convert from eV to J, you need to multiply the number of eV by 1.602176634×10^-19.

2. How do I convert from eV to J?

To convert from eV to J, simply multiply the number of eV by the conversion factor of 1.602176634×10^-19. For example, if you have 10 eV, the conversion would be: 10 eV x 1.602176634×10^-19 = 1.602176634×10^-18 J.

3. Why do we need to convert from eV to J?

eV (electron volts) is a unit of energy commonly used in atomic and nuclear physics, while J (joules) is the standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI). Converting from eV to J allows for easier comparison and understanding of energy values in different fields of science.

4. Can I convert from J to eV?

Yes, you can convert from J to eV by dividing the number of J by the conversion factor of 1.602176634×10^-19. For example, if you have 5 J, the conversion would be: 5 J ÷ 1.602176634×10^-19 = 3.118×10^19 eV.

5. Is the conversion from eV to J applicable to all types of energy?

No, the conversion from eV to J is specifically for energy values related to atomic and nuclear physics. For other types of energy, such as mechanical or thermal energy, different conversion factors may be used.