Compare and contrast a 2.2 eV photon with a 2.2 eV electron

In summary, the conversation discusses a mini project assigned by a teacher before final exams. The project compares and contrasts a 2.2 eV photon and a 2.2 eV electron in terms of energy, rest mass, speed, wavelength, and momentum. The student shares their calculations and provides a brief comparison between the two particles, noting that they have the same energy in joules, but the electron has a constant rest mass while the photon has no rest mass. The photon is also faster than the electron and has a larger wavelength, but the electron has more momentum. The conversation ends with a question about whether the electron has energy associated with its rest mass and a clarification from the teacher about the project's purpose and expectations. In
LionLieOn

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
So my teacher assigned a mini project just before our finals and I was wondering if someone could look over my work and my calculations. I just want to make sure I understood everything since my final exams are coming.

Here's the assignment.

Compare and contrast a 2.2 eV photon with a 2.2 eV electron in terms of
Energy(J)
Rest mass (Kg)
Speed (m/s)
Wavelength (m)
Momentum (kgm/s)

For each, write a brief sentence on the comparison and anything you feel that should be noted.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
As always, please check the attachment to see my calculations. The brief comparison sentences might be a bit to small to see on the attachment so I'll type it here.

Photo/electron, Energy: Since both the photon and electron have the same value of energy, in terms of electron volts, they will have the same value in joules.
Photo/electron, Rest Mass: One can see that an electron at rest has a constant mass value. But, photons do not have a rest mass since they are never at rest.
Photo/electron, Speed: Here, the photon is much faster in comparison to the electron, traveling at the speed of light. Electrons need more energy in order to travel faster. However, it becomes extremely difficult since as it approaches the speed of light, the electron gets larger and so it becomes even harder to make it go faster.
Photo/electron, Wavelength: Both the electron and the photon have equally the same amount of energy. Nonetheless, the wavelength of the electron is much smaller in comparison to the photon’s wavelength.
Photo/electron, Momentum:
The electron has more momentum than the photon. Conversely, it was thought that since a photon had no mass that it would not have any momentum. This was proven wrong as Arthur Compton instituted a way around this by discovering a comparable mass for a photon. With the help of Einstein’s equation, E=mc^2, Compton solved for the mass, m=E/c^2 and used this expression for mass and incorporated into the momentum equation.

Attachments

• MiniProject.jpg
    MiniProject.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,108
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks very good to me. However, the assignment is not very clear on what is meant by the "energy of the electron". The 2.2 eV is the kinetic energy of the electron. Does the electron also have energy associated with its rest mass?

TSny said:
Your work looks very good to me. However, the assignment is not very clear on what is meant by the "energy of the electron". The 2.2 eV is the kinetic energy of the electron. Does the electron also have energy associated with its rest mass?
Thank you for taking your time to review my work!

As for the assignment, my teacher did mention that the "Mini Project" was unplanned. But she felt it was a good way of distinguishing the difference between the electron and the photon (And to help students with low marks bring their marks up a bit.). She also mentioned that we are to assume the electron is not at rest, except for the "rest mass" portion. She didn't want to give us too much work as our finals are just around the corner.

Again, thank you for your generosity and help !

Related to Compare and contrast a 2.2 eV photon with a 2.2 eV electron

1. What is a 2.2 eV photon and how does it differ from a 2.2 eV electron?

A 2.2 eV photon is a particle of light with an energy of 2.2 electron volts (eV), while a 2.2 eV electron is a subatomic particle with the same energy. The main difference between the two is that photons have no mass and travel at the speed of light, while electrons have mass and can move at varying speeds.

2. How are 2.2 eV photons and 2.2 eV electrons similar?

Both 2.2 eV photons and electrons have the same energy level of 2.2 eV. This means that they both have the same amount of energy to carry out chemical reactions or interactions with other particles.

3. Can a 2.2 eV photon and a 2.2 eV electron be found in the same place?

No, they cannot be found in the same place. Photons and electrons are two different types of particles and behave differently. Photons travel at the speed of light and do not have a physical location, while electrons have a mass and can be located at a specific point in space.

4. How does the behavior of a 2.2 eV photon differ from that of a 2.2 eV electron?

The behavior of a 2.2 eV photon and a 2.2 eV electron is different due to their different properties. Photons interact with matter through absorption, emission, and scattering, while electrons can also interact through electrical and magnetic forces. Additionally, photons can travel long distances without losing energy, while electrons can only travel short distances before losing energy.

5. In which scenarios would a 2.2 eV photon be more useful than a 2.2 eV electron?

A 2.2 eV photon would be more useful in scenarios where the interactions between particles need to be non-destructive, such as in medical imaging or telecommunications. Photons also have the advantage of being able to travel long distances without losing energy, making them useful in long-range communication systems. On the other hand, 2.2 eV electrons would be more useful in scenarios where precise control and manipulation of particles is needed, such as in electronic devices and particle accelerators.