How Does Circular Motion Affect Weight at the Top of a Hill?

In summary, at the top of the hill, the apparent weight of the person on the 70kg person is 434N. The maximum speed that the cart can travel at the top of the hill without losing contact with the surface is dependent on the mass of the cart and person, as well as the velocity and radius of the arc of the hill. Friction is neglected in this scenario.
Jhero
here's a tough one :S

A 70kg person rides in a 30kg cart moving at 12 m/s at the top of the hill that is the shape of an arc of a circle with radius of 40m.

a) What is the apparent weight of the person as the cart passes over the top of the hill?

b) Determine the maximum speed that the cart may travel at the top of the hill without losing contact with the surface. Does this depend on the mass of the cart or that of the person?

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) We can treat person and cart as an one object. On the top of the hill there are centripetal force:
F = (v^2 / R) * (m1 + m2)
And because of the second Newton's law a force -F affects on car with person.
So the weight of car with person are Fg - F, where Fg is gravity force.

So Fg is going to be (m1 + m2)g right?

Jhero said:
So Fg is going to be (m1 + m2)g right?

That's correct for the whole cart+person system.

Ftotal = Fg + Fc = mg - mv^2/r.

You seem a bit confused by what you should use for 'm.' Here's a good exercise that will help you:

Solve part a) twice. On the first try, solve for the total force on the cart using mcart then solve for the total force on the person using mperson and add these 2 results together to get Ftotal. On the second try, use m = mperson + mcart. You should get the same answer either way.

Ok ok, so after I do that, wouldn't the weight of the person be Ftotal * 0.7 ?

My answer for the person came out to 434N

Jhero said:
Ok ok, so after I do that, wouldn't the weight of the person be Ftotal * 0.7 ?

My answer for the person came out to 434N

434N looks correct.

As for the first question, if by ftotal you mean the total force for the combined cart-person system, then yes, that is correct. Since v, r, and g are the same for the person and the cart, the total force on the cart and the person is proportional their masses.

Cool, what about b) ? I don't think I can count in friction here?

Jhero said:
Cool, what about b) ? I don't think I can count in friction here?

We're neglecting friction here. If you're referring to ftotal above, that should be an 'F' for force, not friction.

For part b), you've got 2 forces acting on the cart/person. One is gravity, Fg=mg, pulling downward. The other is the centrigugal 'force', Fc=mv^2/r pulling downwards. When these 2 forces are equal, the cart/person will be weightless. Try setting Fg equal to Fc and see if you can solve for velocity.

Related to How Does Circular Motion Affect Weight at the Top of a Hill?

1. What is cart ride circular motion?

Cart ride circular motion is a type of motion where an object, in this case a cart, moves along a circular path at a constant speed.

2. What are the factors that affect cart ride circular motion?

The factors that affect cart ride circular motion include the speed of the cart, the radius of the circular path, and the force applied to the cart.

3. How does centripetal force relate to cart ride circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of cart ride circular motion, it is the force that keeps the cart moving along the circular path.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force in cart ride circular motion?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle. In cart ride circular motion, centripetal force is responsible for keeping the cart on the track, while centrifugal force is a result of the cart's inertia.

5. How can we calculate the speed of a cart in circular motion?

The speed of a cart in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity.