How Does Charging a Capacitor Affect the Induced Magnetic Field?

In summary, the problem involves a 1400 nF capacitor with circular parallel plates 1.0 cm in diameter accumulating charge at a rate of 25.0 mC/s. The magnitude of the induced magnetic field at a distance of 9.0 cm from the center of the plates is to be determined. After the capacitor is fully charged, the magnitude of the field is also requested. The relevant equations are B = mevE and B = (mu)I/2 pi r. The solution involves calculating the current and using it in the second equation, taking into account the units of the charge per second.
Sportsman4920

Homework Statement

A 1400 nF capacitor with circular parallel plates 1.0 cm in diameter is accumulating charge at the rate of 25.0 mC/s at some instant in time. What will be the magnitude of the induced magnetic field 9.0 cm radially outward from the center of the plates?
T
What will be the magnitude of the field after the capacitor is fully charged?
T

Homework Equations

Obviously I'm a little confused, but I believe the general equation is B=mevE where B is magnetic field, e is c^2/Nxm^2, m is Nxs^2/C^2...on second, thought, I'm very confused.
another possibility is B=(mu) initial x I/ 2 pi r

The Attempt at a Solution

1400x25=35000x(1/9)=3888.89T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well some of your comments are on the right track. First you need to calculate the current, given the charge per second. Then use that current in your secon equation (often called the law of Biot and Savart).

However, don't forget to look at the units! You can't just plug in 25 without making use of its units milli-Coulomb.

I would first clarify the question to ensure that the units and variables are correct. It seems that the equation being used here is B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the plates.

Using this equation and the given values, the magnitude of the induced magnetic field at 9.0 cm from the center of the plates is:

B = (4π x 10^-7 Tm/A) x (25 x 10^-3 A) / (2π x 0.09 m) = 0.0013889 T

As for the second part of the question, once the capacitor is fully charged, the current will be zero and therefore the magnetic field will also be zero. This is because the magnetic field is only induced when there is a changing electric field, which is created by the current flowing through the circuit. Once the capacitor is fully charged, there is no longer a changing electric field and therefore no induced magnetic field.

In summary, the magnitude of the induced magnetic field at 9.0 cm from the center of the plates is 0.0013889 T, and the magnetic field will be zero after the capacitor is fully charged.

Related to How Does Charging a Capacitor Affect the Induced Magnetic Field?

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field created by electrically charged particles. It is made up of both electric and magnetic components and is responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

2. How is an electromagnetic field created?

An electromagnetic field is created when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, moves. This movement creates a disturbance in the electric field, which in turn creates a disturbance in the magnetic field. Together, these disturbances create an electromagnetic field.

3. What are the properties of an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field has several important properties, including intensity, direction, and wavelength. The intensity of the field is determined by the strength of the electric and magnetic components, while the direction is determined by the movement of the charged particles. The wavelength of an electromagnetic field is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the field.

4. What are some of the uses of electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields have a wide range of uses in our daily lives. They are used in communication technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI and in power generation and transmission. Electromagnetic fields are also used in various industrial and scientific applications.

5. What are the health effects of exposure to strong electromagnetic fields?

The health effects of exposure to strong electromagnetic fields are still being studied and debated. Some studies suggest that long-term exposure to high levels of electromagnetic fields may increase the risk of certain health problems, such as cancer. However, many regulatory bodies have set safety standards for exposure to electromagnetic fields to ensure that they do not pose a significant health risk to the general public.